The Varsity Blues Men’s soccer team played its first game of Ontario University Athletics (OUA) on August 30 against the Laurentian Voyageurs on home turf at Varsity Centre. Before this first game, the team began its training camp in mid-August, and attended the Old Four tournament in Kingston, where U of T, Queen’s, Western, and McGill competed in pre-season games from August 23–24.

Last year, the season ended at the hands of OUA East Champions the Ryerson Rams in the quarter-final. The game couldn’t have come closer, ending in dying seconds of overtime. The city rivals will be a team to beat this season.
This season will feature a great mix of veteran and talented young players, Particularly including team captain Ezequiel Lubocki. Lubocki will be most excited to come back from his ACL injury.

“I did not get to participate in the play-offs last year, so for me, playing this season will be extremely rewarding after a long year of rehab,” he said.

Coach Anthony Capotosto will be at the helm again this season. “The best part is working with the student-athletes who work hard, are dedicated, and motivated to succeed,” he noted.

The team has several returning players this season, as well as 10 recruited players who joined the team for its training camp. Thirty players are going to be reporting for camp this year, which is the most that the team has ever had. The goal for the group this year will be the same as every year: to win the OUA East title, the OUA championship, and the Canadian Interuniversity Sport national championship.