Last year, the women’s soccer team finished strong in fifth place in the Canadian Intercollegiate Sports (CIS) finals at Varsity Centre, pairing with its 10-3-3 record of the season.

The team has a new coach this season, Stuart Neely, who is promoting a culture of improved training physically, and psychologically in the game, with a significant emphasis on the team’s mental approach.

This season, strong play will be important for player Sara Petrucci. Last year, she exhibited strong performance and good communication skills. The team will look for the same type of support this season.
Lisa English will be a key defender for the team as the returning captain. The midfield crew will have Olivia Gonsalves and Claudia Piazza helping the team’s transition game.

Assisting Neely will be former players Laura Macho and Diana Esteireiro as assistant coaches. “Every coach has an idea of what they want, but eventually it is the players that will dictate what we do based on their ability to perform and what brings the best out of them,” said Neely.

This year, the Ontario University Athletic (OUA) Final Four will take place November 1 in Hamilton, with the CIS finals on November 6 in Charlottetown, PEI. With heavy goals for the team, its focus will be to place first in the OUA East, as they battle with strong teams from the University of Ottawa and Carleton University this year.

Lisa English feels positively about the incoming team, “This squad has been through many hardships and we know how to fight through adversity. We will be ready to win battles this year.”