The Varsity Blues field hockey team dominated both of its matches against York University and Western University on Saturday, September 6. The Blues finished with an 8–0 win over the York Lions and an 8–1 win over the Western Mustangs at the U of T Invitational. These matches kicked off the first official event hosted on the newly renovated back campus fields.

The team enjoyed a very successful season last year, leading U of T athletics with a reputation of setting high expectations and achieving remarkable success. Field hockey has thrived as a major sport at U of T since the 1960s.

Over the years, the team’s success has continued to show through its numerous accomplishments at both the provincial and national levels. 

Last year’s team captain Kathryn Williams led the team to the provincial championships last October, despite the fact that many of its star players had graduated the previous year. With head coach John DeSouza providing support and advice every step of the way, the rookies worked extremely hard alongside seasoned players in order to ensure continued success for the team.

The Blues are scheduled to play two matches next Saturday against the Western Mustangs and the Queen’s Gaels.

The following weekend, the team will be heading to Kingston to face off against the McGill Martlets, the York Lions, and the Guelph Gryphons. If last season is any indication of the team’s expected performance, it would not be a surprise to see the Blues heading to the Ontario University Athletics championship this fall and the Canadia Intercollegiate Sport championship in late October.

The back campus fields project was an attempt on behalf of the university to expand opportunities and access for students, staff, and faculty in the coming years. The fields will be used in the upcoming Pan Am and Parapan Am Games next year.

This fall marks an exciting time for the U of T community, as the much anticipated Varsity Centre complex reaches its final stages of completion this fall.