On September 16, I attended my first fitness class at the Athletic Centre (AC). Fit Mix is a one-hour class that incorporates step exercises, weights, and strength and conditioning techniques in a triple blast cardio class. 

I was pleasantly surprised to see a variety of participants in attendance. The fitness level varied from very fit athletic students to an elderly woman who stepped along behind a supportive walking stand.

It was easy to modify the class to fit personal fitness goals. By the end of the class, I was sweating a lot more than I expected to. 

While I found the standard version of the class challenging itself, it can be modified to become more or less intense to suit all participants. In order to intensify the class, for example, participants can use heavier weights or add more blocks to their personal steps to increase the height. 

If you are new to exercising or, like me, haven’t been going to the gym as much as you would like to, you can participate in the program at your own pace. The casual and supportive atmosphere of the class makes it a much less daunting alternative to running on the treadmill next to top athletes who train at the AC.

The instructor, Christina, was upbeat and kept us all motivated throughout the course. Step classes can be confusing at the beginning, but she took things slow for the newer participants and by the end everyone had gotten the hang of it. She was friendly and made sure to introduce herself, check up on individuals throughout the routine, and talk to participants afterwards to learn about their experience. She made participants feel very comfortable and supported.

However, if you do not like working out with an audience, I would not recommend this particular class. The AC field house workout area, in which my class was held, is not as private as in dance studios. 

Bring a bottle of water, grab some friends, and head on down to the AC or Hart House for their wide range of offered fitness classes. What do you have to lose?