The Varsity Blues men’s soccer team had a tough lead to follow on Saturday afternoon after the Blues women’s soccer team celebrated a 3-0 victory over the Paladins. The men’s team certainly did not disappoint. It also enjoyed an important win over the Paladins of the Royal Military College of Canada (RMC) later that day in a 3-0 victory.

The men’s head coach, Anthony Capotosto, celebrated his hundredth win as a Varsity Blues head coach. Capotosto’s hundredth win comes after eight years as men’s head coach and two seasons as women’s bench boss. Capotosto was an OUA all-star when he played for the Blues in 1997 and 1999-2002. 

The Blues’ Nirun Sivananthan set up a cross to Russell Rodrigues who then scored in the seventeenth minute of the game, setting the Blues off to an early start. This was followed by another goal by Blues leading scorer Kilian Elkinson, scored in the thirty-second minute. Elkinson led the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) with seven goals in six games heading into this game. 

Heading into half-time, team captain Mario Kovacevic scored the third and final goal of the game, placing the Blues at a 3-0 lead over the Paladins. U of T goalkeeper Mark Rogal also performed very well, making two saves in the much-anticipated OUA match. 

The Blues men’s team played the Queen’s Gaels on Sunday and won 5-2-1, improving their record to 5-2-1 and jumping up to third place in the OUA East division. The Blues look forward to similar success in the upcoming weeks leading to OUA playoffs in October.