The men’s basketball team starts its season on November 7 against the University of Waterloo Warriors. The Blues have been playing in a number of exhibition games and training in the new athletic facility on campus, the Goldring Centre. Leading the team this year is fifth-year guard Dylan Churchill who is entering his final season as a Varsity Blue. The team is also welcoming seven rookies to the team, including Sage Usher, a Toronto native. The two athletes sat down to discuss basketball, University of Toronto, and DJing.

Dylan Churchill: When did you first start playing basketball/what made you start playing?

Sage Usher: I don’t remember when exactly I started to play but one on one games on my driveway with my brother started at a young age. We were pretty competitive and that was the start of what motivated me to work on my game.

DC: Is there someone you model your game after?

SU: There is no one in particular I model my game after, I think the guys in the NBA are so talented its hard to do a lot of what they do but I love watching guys like James Harden, Lebron James, Steph Curry, or Kyle Lowry.

COURTESY OF VARSITY BLUES

COURTESY OF VARSITY BLUES

DC: What’s the proudest moment in your basketball career so far?

SU: My proudest moment so far has to be winning OFSAA in grade 12. Our team, St. Mike’s, was like a family and we went on a crazy run starting about half way into our season. We blew out a majority of teams that we played and ended up winning the finals in OT. It seemed meant to be and is something I’ll never forget.

DC: What are you studying at U of T?

SU: I’m currently undecided on my major but leaning towards the ethics, society, and law program.

DC: What’s your dream job?

SU: Professional athlete.

DC: I’ve heard rumours about your hidden talent for DJing. Where did this skill come from/do you have a DJ name?

SU: Haha, it’s a new-found talent that I’m working on with help from my mentor DJ Polo Ralph aka The Mayor aka Devon Johnson. Whenever our team is together, he seems to be the guy playing the music but I try to hop in there when I can.

DC: Finish the sentence: If I wasn’t playing basketball I’d be…

SU: Spending more time on my DJ skills.

DC: What are your short term goals for the upcoming season?
SU: Short term is to get off to a good start in conference play. We’ve got some games early that we have to win to put ourselves in a good position to make the playoffs which is our main goal and definitely achievable.

DC: How about long term for your career at U of T?

SU: Haven’t thought much about long term here, but I definitely want to help change the culture here into one where winning would be more of an expectation. Goldring and everything else that’s been put into this program recently has provided a foundation for that to happen so I don’t see why it can’t [move] forward. I definitely believe the basketball program here is on the rise and it’s exciting to be a part of.

This interview has been edited and condensed for clarity and length.