Women’s volleyball veteran Jennifer Neilson is hoping to finish her Varsity Blues career on a high. 

She was an Ontario University Athletics (OUA) East First team all-star in the 2013–14 season and is a three-time OUA bronze medalist. 

The fifth–year right side player said, “the goal has been to win OUAs but the team has fallen short the last three years. This year the team has more drive than ever before and we believe this is [our] time.” 

The team has worked hard to prepare themselves to have a chance of competing in and winning both the OUA and Canadian Intercollegiate Sports (CIS) championships. 

The team is led by six returning veterans consisting of three in their fifth years of eligibility, and three students in their fourth year.  

Neilson describes the team as unique because everyone contributes. 

“There is so much depth. There are 17 people and 17 contributors. Everyone plays a role and this team very unique compared to every other OUA and CIS team,” said Neilson. 

Being a student athlete is not easy.

Neilson practices 5-6 days a week for 2-2.5 hours and she said it can be difficult at times to manage with a full course load.  

“The team has a long season — they go from September to March. This is a long time to play the balancing act,” she said. 

Neilson is among seven academic-all Canadians on the team, which is the most of any team sport at University of Toronto. 

“We are very much students before athletes and this is brought down from [the] coaching staff,” said Neilson.

Neilson has also been involved in coaching and hopes to continue after her playing days are done. She has worked with the British Columbia provincial team U16, who won the gold medal in the national championships while she was a coach.

This past summer she coached team Ontario to a podium finish at a national tournament. She really enjoyed the experience and is hoping to coach the team again this summer. 

The Blues have played well in competitions and had a great opening weekend in their new home, the Goldring Centre. The women’s volleyball team is hosting CIS Championships later this season.

“Although we get a berth, we plan to earn our way [into the championship],” she said.  

Neilson explained that the Goldring Centre will make the team grow to become better athletes and a closer team. “It’s great to walk in and know it’s ours,” she said. 

Neilson hopes to play professional volleyball after she graduates, as well as pursue a master’s degree in Sports Management.