In preparation for the upcoming Pan Am and Parapan Am Games that will be hosted here in Toronto, many sports and athletic facilities have been quite busy. With the games happening in Toronto, it was a no brainer that the University of Toronto was going to be involved in some way.  

Preparation for the games have included improvements to existing facilities on campus, as well as construction of new facilities such as the Toronto Pan American Sport Centre (TPASC). 

“The Toronto Pan Am/Parapan Am Sports Centre, in my opinion is the ultimate investment for the general Scarborough area. The facility welcomes the entire community and provides a space for the community to enjoy, share, and develop,” said first-year track and field athlete Rayshaun Franklin.

From the start, the opportunity to host events for the Pan Am and Parapan Am Games received a positive response from the majority of U of T students, faculty, and staff. The opportunity has opened doors for the U of T community — athletes and non-athletes alike.

“I aspire to take part in the Pan-Am Games as an athlete,” said Franklin. However, if he isn’t competing as an athlete, he still hopes to be a part of the games. 

“I would absolutely love to be front row of some of the events that will take place at U of T venues… It’s an opportunity for the community to come together and relish in the moments of such a rare, prestigious occasion,” he said. 

Many U of T facilities are being used as venues for a variety of events during the games. These facilities include the St. George campus Athletic Centre, Varsity Centre, the new TPASC Aquatic Centre, as well as the Pan Am Tennis Centre at the Scarborough Campus. 

The use of U of T athletic facilities as venues for the 2015 Pan Am/Parapan Am Games seems to be an opportunity that the community is excited for. The games have generated work and volunteer positions for students and increased many students’ pride in their school.