“You can never describe improv [shows] to people,” says U of T Improv co-president Robbie Grant.

It’s advice he gives as I ask him about last weekend’s U of T Improv Summit, which brought together teams from U of T, University of Waterloo, Queens University, McGill University, Carleton University, and University of Ottawa to engage in some light-hearted but competitive matches.

The Summit’s finals, the second of two nights, took place at the Tranzac Club. Julian Frid, U of T grad and current improv teacher at Hart House, hosted the games, with cast members of Toronto’s Bad Dog Theatre Liz Thompson and Ken Hall acting as adjudicators.

At 8 pm, team huddles began to form in various spots across the bar. Finally, the house lights dimmed, the audience quieted, and Frid took the stage to kick off a night that would prove rife with energy, silliness, and laughter.

The first game, entitled “wild card,” involved three-minute scenes inspired by a theme from Canadian literature. U of T braved the game first, performing an entertaining scene about a self-conscious girl with abnormally large feet who ultimately saves a drowning ice-skater from a death by hypothermia.

Other highlights from the night included Waterloo’s tale of a papa bear searching for an income in our economy’s failing job market (a scene inspired by the Can Lit theme “nature”), Queens’ explanation of the disco ball’s invention (little known fact: the woolly mammoth’s skull contained conveniently placed holes through which to shine light and animate an otherwise dull party), and Ottawa’s all-male team performing an inspiring movement sequence to “I Believe I Can Fly”.

U of T was among the earlier teams to be disqualified, based on a process that accounted for audience applause and the judges’ ratings. I was able to sit down with Grant and Aviva Philipp-Muller, U of T Improv’s other co-president, to get their thoughts on the value and importance of the improv community.

First-year team members James Hotti and Fateema Miller agree that improv practices are the best part of their day, a sentiment echoed by their co-presidents.

“[In] the beginning especially, I was nervous for every practice. Then you get there and you just loose yourself in it and you always leave feeling better,” Grant recalls from his early days as an improviser.

Philipp-Muller says that she especially “craves improv” when she’s having a bad day and adds, “I actually find that I’m funniest when I’m upset.”

This year, the team is comprised of many first-years and Grant notes that their team must continually work on “being patient with the now.”

Philipp-Muller observes that newer improvisers tend to feel they have to stick to a plan and find a great plot.

“For me, improv isn’t about a plot, it’s about games. You can have a scene and not much happens but it’s hilarious because you found a great game,” she explains.

Philip-Muller adds that improve is particularly fun for audiences due to its interactive nature.

“The audience is part of the moment,” Philipp-Muller shares, adding, “When you’re watching the improviser and you’re like, ‘How are you gonna get out of this moment?’ …it’s kind of fun in a sadistic way. But then they do it and you’re like, I’m so turned on right now.”

Grant adds that an audience member is a part of the improvisation just by being there. “It’ll only happen once. Each throwaway moment is now a part of this world. It’s just so ridiculously silly that [the improvisers] imagine things and everyone’s agreeing with them,” he says.

Grant concludes that, “Improv is a natural aphrodisiac,” adding that we can all use a little improv to improve our lives.