Winter playoffs define the month of February for Varsity athletes. As the regular season ends, teams compete in the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) championships for a shot at continuing their seasons.

On the ice, the men’s and women’s hockey teams continued their momentum from a strong regular season into the OUAs. The men’s team defeated Ryerson in a first round matchup, but lost to Guelph in the semi-finals.

This past weekend, the team’s playoff run ended with a 2-1 series loss against the Guelph Gryphons.

On the court, both men’s and women’s basketball teams earned playoff berths. In their first game, the men’s team lost to Windsor to end its season. The women’s won its first round game against Brock, but lost to Windsor University in the quarter-finals.

Recent excitement has filled the Goldring centre for the women’s volleyball Canadian championships. Although the men’s volleyball team did not qualify for playoffs, the women’s team finished its playoff run with a strong performance in the Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) Championships. The team won the OUA championships to finish a strong season in their conference, and finished in fourth place at the CIS championships, losing 3-2 in the bronze medal game to the Montréal Carabins.

The swimming team continued its strong season into February and competed in its two major tournaments. The teams earned first place finishes at the OUAs and continued their successful season at the CIS Championships. The men finished second, the women finished third, and many swimmers earned individual awards.

The first-ranked indoor track and field team competed in their OUA championships to finish a strong February run, and the women’s team took home the OUA title while the men placed fifth, an improvement on their respective second and sixth place finishes last season.

Taking to the ice, the curling teams ed great success in their OUA Championships. The men’s teams earned a bronze medal finish and will continue their season at the CIS championships. The women’s team lost in its quarterfinal match against Guelph.

The figure skating team took the ice at the OUA championships and finished in sixth place. The team captured individual and team medals at the event.

In the frigid temperatures of North Bay, the Nordic skiing team competed in the relay, 6-kilometre and 10-kilometre races. The tournament continued a successful season for the skiers. The team will soon race at the Ontario Cup and CIS championships.

With mask on and sword in hand, the fencing teams competed in their OUA playoffs and both medaled. The men’s teams finished first in the sabre class, third in the foil class, and eighth in the epee class.

Individual members also earned OUA all-star recognition and individual awards. The women’s team earned a third place finish in the Epee class and two members earned individual all-star recognition.

Squash teams medaled at their respective OUA championships. The men’s team won a tiebreaker against McMaster to earn bronze. The women’s team earned a silver medal and will continue their season in the Jester’s University League playoffs.

Taking to the mat, the wrestling teams fought hard at their OUA championships. The team earned top 10 finishes overall. The men compete in the 52-120 kilogram weight classes and the women in the 48-82 kilogram classes.

Many U of T sports teams have had success at the OUAs. As February ends and some teams finish their seasons, others will keep going for their shot at the CIS Championship title.