For the past week or so, disgruntled TAs have provided the St. George campus with loud, ambient noise in the form of chanting, singing, and the general clamor of a group that is demanding something. While studying undergraduate students, like myself, have gone to gone to great lengths to stay focused (or, in some cases, hit the picket lines and join in) we nevertheless find ourselves unable to escape the ever-present TA strike that leaves us without tutorials or graded papers.

But all opinions aside, is it not fair to say that our beloved TAs could express their anger through a more melodically driven musical number? Wasn’t Bono speaking to the hearts of the TAs when he sang ‘I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For’? And alternatively, when the administration negotiates with the TAs, aren’t they just trying to say what ABBA had been saying all along with ‘Take A Chance On Me’?

Maybe, just maybe, a TA Strike: The Musical is in order.

But that’s for another time. Now, in the spirit of throwing a little sunlight over this otherwise gloomy episode in our institution’s history, we’ve configured a playlist of songs that we feel accurately express the TAs’ woes — and, just for good measure, we’ve included a list of songs that speak to the administration’s point of view, as well.

Songs for the TA’s

“Too Little Too Late” – Jojo
In this classic, Jojo tells us the story of a woman who catches her boyfriend flirting with another girl at a frat party. Is he cheating on her? The idea makes her upset. Will the TAs’ salary be able to support them through the year? This idea makes them upset as well. Obvious connection.

“Wasted Hours” – Arcade Fire
The university caps the TAs’ hours at 205 per year, however many TAs end up working much more than these allotted hours — Arcade Fire tells it like it is.

“You Never Give Me Your Money” – The Beatles
When summing up the TAs’ unfortunate situation, this song is actually right on the money (pardon the pun). “Out of college, money spent/see no future, pay no rent/all the money’s gone, nowhere to go”, sings Paul McCartney. Bleak, but not far fetched.

“So Appalled” – Kanye West
This is applicable mainly because Kanye spends the better part of his time trash-talking large corporations on radio shows. Yeezus is with you, TAs. Yeezus is with you.

“Everyday Struggle” – Notorious B.I.G.
Thankfully, the TAs have not found themselves in a situation where they have to sell crack on the side to make up for their low-income wage, so the song’s relevance is really just in the title.

Songs for the Administration

Baby Come Back – Player
“Baby come back, you can blame it all on me/I was wrong, and I just can’t live without you.” They haven’t admitted it yet, but we know that this is exactly what the administration has been feeling all along.

“Where Is The Love?” – Black Eyed Peas
In this somber ballad, the administration takes a step back, and tries to consult their President, Meric Gertler, asking desperately, “Father father father help us, send some guidance from above, ‘cause people got me, got me questionin’, where is the love?” And by people, they mean TAs.

“All You Had To Do Was Stay” – Taylor Swift
The administration tries to make life easier for both parties with this T-Swift number. Why leave when all you have to do is stay? Alas, if only it were that easy.

“Money Grabber” – Fitz & The Tantrums
The administration and the TAs reached a tentative deal last Friday, however, upon the TAs’ near-unanimous rejection of this deal, the administration became bitter. Now, they preach the good word of Fitz & The Tantrums, singing “Don’t come back anytime/I’ve already had your kind/This is your pay back/Money Grabber”.

“Tainted Love” – Soft Cell
Have we lost all hope? Have we been pushed to the point where we need an excessively campy ‘80s song to describe this situation? Apparently so, and really, no one’s happy about it.

Bonus: a song for the students

“Stuck In The Middle With You” – Stealers Wheel
Let’s just get this strike over with, shall we?