The Varsity Blues (4–8) fell 71–77 to the Brock Badgers (10–3) Friday night at the Goldring Centre’s Kimel Family Field House. Despite leading for the majority of the game, the Blues couldn’t sustain their momentum into the fourth quarter, allowing the Badgers to finish with a slim lead. The Blues were led by forward Devin Johnson’s 20 points and forward Daniel Johansson’s 18 points. For the Badgers, point-guard Johneil Simpson led the squad with 22 points.

The game started strong for the Blues after a 7–0 run ended the first quarter with a 19–14 lead.

The Blues continued strong play in the second by leading 35–32, before Brock’s Zachary Angelini hit a buzzer beating three-pointer to conclude the first half with a tie.

The third quarter saw the Blues and Badgers exchanging multiple blocks and fouls, both teams executing defensive plays. At the five minute mark, Blues’ Johnson landed awkwardly while chasing down Brock’s Tyler Brown on a fast break. Unscathed, he would continue to play out the rest of the game.

The Blues regained the lead at 49–46 after Miroslav Jaksic’s two handed dunk, but the Badgers responded with a quick three-pointer on the next possession and two free throws from Dani Elgadi, which edged the Badgers ahead 51–49.

The strong defensive effort continued for the Blues; they ended the third with two steals and two fast breaks by Manny Sahota and Wilson Torres, entering the fourth with a one point lead over the Badgers.

With the game tied at 63 late in the fourth, the Badgers went on a 6–0 run that would be the downfall of the Blues. Despite two crucial charges from point guard Sage Usher and precise shooting from Johnson, the deficit was too high to make up and the Blues trailed 74–68.

The difference quickly grew to eight points, before Usher managed to draw a foul at the three-point line with only seconds left in the game. He made two of three free throws to end the game 71–77. The loss puts the Blues to the third spot in the OUA East Division.

The Blues’ Johansson was named player of the game. He finished off with 18 points, five rebounds, and one block in 31 minutes of play.

The Blues will return to action on February 6, when they host the Wilfred Laurier Golden Hawks at the Kimel Family Field House.