The University of Toronto Varsity Blues field hockey team returned to strong form as the team defeated the Waterloo Warriors and Queen’s Gaels on Saturday, and the McGill Martlets on Sunday at Back Campus Fields.

The Blues kicked off action on Saturday morning with an impressive 4–0 victory over Waterloo. Toronto dominated possession throughout the first half, initiating spurts of attack and clashing with the Warriors defenders. In the fourth minute, third-year defender Julia Costanzo scored the opening goal of the game.

Maeve Chambers defended well throughout the game, and midfielder Megan Johansen possessed the ball often, distributing and initiating Toronto’s offense. After the ball was played down the right side, Morgan Sleeth received a pass and scored on a quick shot from inside the circle in the 28th minute to make the score 2–0. Blues fifth-year forward Nicole Spring launched a great attempt on net late in the first half but was unable to score.

Toronto continued attacking pressure early in the second half. Johansen produced quality chances on goal, eventually scoring in the 54th minute. Defender Taylor Fleck added Toronto’s fourth and final goal of the match in the 68th minute, and goalkeeper Sara Fredo earned the shutout in the victory.

The Blues finished the day with a key 4-1 victory over the Queen’s Gaels. Emily Ziraldo, Fleck, Anna Costanzo, and Isabella Watson provided the goals for Toronto, while the lone Queen’s tally came from Leigh Janssen in the 59th minute.

Toronto closed out the weekend with a 4-0 victory over McGill, avenging the 4–3 loss they suffered against the Martlets two weeks prior. Off a corner, Fleck opened the scoring with a goal in the fourth minute, her third of the weekend. Toronto pressed their attack against McGill to earn consecutive corners. Martlets forward Tania Iskandar had a partial break on goal, but Blues defender Nicole Hicks broke up the play. The second-year defender’s strong effort throughout the match played a key role in Toronto’s victory.

The Blues scored again in the 16th minute, as Johansen found the back of the net from close range. Sleeth added a goal in the 29th minute to extend Toronto’s lead to 3–0.

Despite the three-goal advantage, the Blues were unable to continue their same high level of execution in the second half. McGill began the half in aggressive fashion in search of the back of the net, with defender Breeshey Roskams-Hieter firing a shot just wide of goal.

Ziraldo jumped into the attack throughout the second half, launching multiple opportunities on frame. Ziraldo finally found the back of the net in the 57th minute. Anna Costanzo and Ziraldo provided the Blues with late chances for a fifth goal but were both unable to score.

Following the weekend sweep, Toronto now sits in third place in the OUA standings with a 5-3-2 record. The Blues return to action on October 22 against the University of Guelph and Western University.