Screenshot of an advertisement on Breitbart News website. VIA ModernSquirrel/TWITTER

Digital advertisements for a lecture being given at U of T’s School of Public Policy and Governance have appeared on the Breitbart News website, a far-right media organization based in the United States whose Executive Chairman, Steve Bannon, is a former Chief Strategist in the Trump administration.

Sleeping Giants CA, an organization “dedicated to stopping racist, sexist, anti-Semitic and homophobic news sites by stopping their ad dollars,” caught wind of the ad and tweeted at U of T asking for it to be removed from Breitbart News‘ website. 

The lecture in question, titled “Citizens, Surveillance, and the Public Good” is set to take place on November 16 at the Isabel Bader Theatre and will feature David Eaves, a technology expert and lecturer at Harvard University’s John F. Kennedy School of Government. Eaves tweeted when he found out about the advertising on Breitbart News.

According to U of T media relations, “faculty and divisions run their own advertising campaigns independently.”

In January, The Varsity reported that four Canadian universities had cut advertising ties to Breitbart, including the University of British Columbia, McGill University, Université de Montréal, and Université Laval. 

Stay up to date. Sign up for our weekly newsletter, sent straight to your inbox:

* indicates required