UTAM President Daren Smith. PHOTO BY JOHNNY GUATTO COURTESY OF THE UNIVERSITY OF TORONTO

The Ontario government has published its annual Sunshine List, revealing the salaries of all public sector employees who earned over $100,000 in 2017. There were 3,727 U of T employees on the list.

The university’s top earner was Daren Smith, President and Chief Investment Officer of the University of Toronto Asset Management Corporation (UTAM). His salary came in at $936,089.48, an increase from his $512,215.61 salary in 2016. 

Smith is the second highest-paid public sector employee in Ontario, coming in behind Jeffrey Lyash, President and Chief Executive Officer of Ontario Power Generation, whose salary was $1,554,456.95 last year. Lyash is the only public sector employee who earned over $1 million in salary last year.

Other top earners employed at U of T also come from UTAM: Charles O’Reilly, Senior Portfolio Manager of Investments, made $571,307.86; Lisa Becker, Chief Operating Officer and Chief Compliance Officer, made $499,678.76; and Adrian Hussey, Managing Director of Portfolio and Risk Analysis, made $499,080.91.

U of T President Meric Gertler’s salary was $438,892.04, almost identical to what it was the previous year.

Stay up to date. Sign up for our weekly newsletter, sent straight to your inbox:

* indicates required