The Varsity Blues men’s hockey team fell short 21 in yet another aggressive matchup against the Brock Badgers on Friday night at Varsity Arena.

With just under a month left in the regular season, Toronto sits last in the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) West men’s hockey standings.

The Blues were aggressive early in the first period, as Joey Manchurek shot one in the top corner of the net past Badgers goaltender Logan Thompson for what would be Toronto’s only goal of the night.

Following the goal, both teams were involved in a physical altercation which resulted in both teams earning minor penalties. Toronto’s Ryan Kirkup was sent to the box for roughing, alongside Brock’s Tyler Rollo for cross-checking. Brock’s Ryan Burton answered with a game-tying unassisted goal to close the first period.

The second period went scoreless despite a Toronto powerplay that ended the period. The rough interactions between teams continued as Brock’s Ethan Price was given a 10-minute misconduct for foul head contact. Both goalies stood strong in the second as Toronto’s Alex Bishop and Brock’s Thompson each stopped eight shots on goal.

With the score levelled at one goal a piece, intensity only increased in the third when Willy Paul drew a penalty for kneeing. Later in the period, Brock’s Ayden Macdonald’s shot took an unexpected bounce off the glove and then helmet of Bishop, for Brock’s go-ahead goal in the third period.

Thompson was briefly attended to late in the third period after an awkward save but remained in the game.

The Blues outshot the Badgers 28–24 in their loss. Toronto pulled Bishop to rally back late into the third period, but it wasn’t enough as the blue and white fell just short of the Badgers, 21.