It was a constant chase for the lead for the Blues football team, who fought valiantly until the end against the Queen’s University Gaels in their fourth match of the season. This score puts an end to the Blues’ two-game winning streak.

Despite the result, Toronto made some standout plays against the Gaels, a team that they have not had a regular season victory over since 1975. With a hefty 11-point lead out the gate for the Gaels, Blues quarterback and U of T’s East-West Bowl representative Clay Sequeira narrowed the lead with a six-yard pass to wide receiver Michael Lehmann to finish a 75-yard drive.

The first quarter also saw some impressive defensive efforts, with an exceptionally notable interception by linebacker Kalvin Zhou at the Blues’ own 37-yard line.

The second and third quarters saw more points for the Gaels than the Blues, with impressive plays on their offence: Richard Burton of the Gaels secured a seven-yard touchdown reception, and Queen’s kept this ball rolling well into the third quarter. The Blues were not, however, handing it over easily. With multiple incomplete passes and near-touchdowns in the Queen’s endzone, it was clear that Toronto was putting it all out on the field.

The Blues came out strong in the fourth quarter, with a connection between Sequeria and Nolan Lovegrove over 18 yards for a touchdown to further close the gap. The game had a nail-biting finish, but, in the end, the Blues fell to the Gaels. Despite the loss, quarterback Sequeria is still leading the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) in passing with an average of 400.5 yards per game. Lovegrove also secured the number-one spot in the OUA rankings for receiving, averaging 115.8 yards per game and five touchdowns.

The Blues will be in Ottawa September 28 to face off against the Carleton Ravens.