U of T is offering an emergency grant for all domestic and international undergraduate students who have been affected by COVID-19. The grant is meant to provide short-term financial support for students who have found themselves in unexpected need due to the outbreak of the virus.

The application asks students to list their sources of income and family income along with their monthly expenses in order to determine need. Students will also be asked to provide a statement detailing why they are requesting the grant. The grant has no stated minimum or maximum amount that it will provide. Instead, students total their financial need as part of their application.

Applications must be submitted directly to a student’s faculty, college, or registrar, and anyone who submits an application will receive a response within two business days. 

The university has not released any information regarding what kinds of requests will warrant the allocation of funds under this emergency grant. However, the personal statement section of the application asks students to “explain how you planned to finance your studies at the beginning of this school year, what happened to change or affect your budget and why you now require assistance.”

Ontario declared a state of emergency today, closing many businesses, such as restaurants, bars, and movie theatres. This, as well as the recent news of border closures, may contribute to added financial burdens for students.