Staying physically active is a very good way to relieve stress from schoolwork. Wondering how to break a pair of sneakers in without breaking the bank? Not sure which pair is right for which activity?

It is important to know the differences between different types of shoes. For each activity, you require different things from shoes. For running, you want a shoe with good cushioning. You need support and a higher heel-to-toe drop in running shoes compared to weightlifting or crossfit shoes, for example.

Here, you’ll find all the information you need on how to choose the right shoe for your activities. Below are the top picks for the following categories: long distance runs, sprints, crossfit, and lifting.

Long distance runs

For long distance running, we recommend the Nike Revolution 5, which are currently discounted for $74.99. They are very comfortable to run in — which is very important in long distance runs — have great traction, and the outsole allows great flexibility when running. These shoes are also suitable for road running.

Sprints

If you prefer shorter sprints, we have you covered as well. For short running, we recommend Asics Gel Contend 5 for men, which are on sale for $60. For women, the best short distance running shoes are the Adidas Duramo 9, which are discounted at $67. These shoes are great for light workouts and sprinting. The outsoles provide great traction and plenty of support, although the Asics provide more support due to hard heels.

Crossfit

Shoes for crossfit are very different compared to running shoes — they need to be suitable for a wide range of activities, from running to lifting. They usually cost a bit more as well. Our top pick for crossfit and workout shoes are the Reebok Nano 9 Training Shoes.

There are models for men and women. They offer plenty of support and protection on top of being very comfortable. Reebok offers many cool designs and colours with varying prices. On the official website, you can find them for somewhere between $85 and $145.

Lifting

Usually weightlifting shoes are pricier, and not everyone wants to shell out big bucks for them right from the beginning. Our top pick for this section might surprise you the most. We recommend the Converse Chuck Taylor All Star High Top Sneakers, which have a starting price of $70.

The rubber sole without arch support makes it perfect for squats or deadlifts, which demand a solid, flat foundation. These shoes are very light and decrease the chance of tripping. They come in unisex, men’s, and women’s lines.