As U of T plans for a largely in-person fall and winter semester, some U of T faculties have announced plans for online course delivery in fall 2021 and winter 2022. 

Notably, the Dalla Lana School of Public Health (DLSPH) and Ontario Institute for Studies in Education (OISE) have both committed to a largely online mode of course delivery for fall 2021, with limited in-person options for research, field work, and similar tasks. 

Many faculties at U of T have different plans for fall 2021. While UTSC and UTM are both planning for a mix of in-person and online learning, the Faculty of Arts & Science is planning for a mostly in-person fall semester — although it’s giving students the option of taking courses online for the first two weeks.

On May 31, DLSPH Dean Adalsteinn Brown released a statement explaining that, apart from a “few exceptions,” DLSPH courses in the fall will predominantly take place online. 

Brown added that the DLSPH will facilitate “opportunities to meet and engage with other students, faculty, and staff” through in-person research and co-curricular activities planned in accordance with current public health guidance. 

Dean Glen A. Jones of OISE provided a similar update on June 2, stating that course delivery for the upcoming fall semester will be online, barring any courses that require field placements. Jones wrote that OISE will assess the priority of in-person activities on the basis of “capacity and on the degree to which the activity in question is an essential program requirement.”

As for the winter semester, OISE plans to offer in-person instruction for 60 per cent of its courses. This includes a transition from online to in-person delivery between the fall and winter semesters in full-year courses.