Unit 6 of the Canadian Union of Public Employees Local 3902 (CUPE 3902) was created last year to represent instructors in the International Foundation Program (IFP) and International Summer Academy (ISA) at New College. After a total of 32 days at the negotiating table with U of T for a negotiation that started in summer 2021, the unit has reached and ratified its first ever collective agreement. 

The importance of a collective agreement 

The Varsity previously reported on CUPE 3902 Unit 6’s goals for its collective agreement with the university — specifically, more job security and a collectively written document to help better resolve disagreements and protect employees. The recent collective agreement addressed some key concerns that employees had previously raised.

The agreement is in effect from January 2021 to the end of December 2024. It includes a rise in pay each year, which is limited to one per cent by Ontario law. It also codified many existing practices between U of T and the instructors represented by Unit 6, such as instructors’ pay, working conditions, and protection from discrimination and harassment. 

In an email to The Varsity, Daniel Brielmaier, vice-chair colleges for CUPE 3902 and co-lead negotiator for the bargaining, shared that the union has “achieved their goal of job security and compensation,” and that it is “pleased with the result [of the negotiation].” 

“[ISA instructors on four-week contracts] won several pieces of language that give former instructors preference in hiring as well as some say in the courses they will teach,” wrote Brielmaier. IFP instructors who are hired on eight to nine month contracts each year can change to contract positions, so they are guaranteed work from one year to the next, outside of extraordinary circumstances, Brielmaier elaborated. 

The bargaining and ratification process

U of T’s principal and chief administrative officer, and the New College and U of T Labour Relations teams represented the university. The union’s Bargaining Team represented its ISA and IFP instructors.  

According to Brielmaier, CUPE 3902’s Bargaining Team consulted union members before proposing the current collective agreement, which was then approved by members before the negotiations with U of T. During the bargaining process, the union worked with its members in putting pressure on U of T to “reach a fair and equitable agreement.”

The negotiation was conducted virtually and was “somewhat more challenging than bargaining in person.” It also took longer to finish because it was the first collective agreement for the unit, according to a U of T spokesperson. 

“The process was delayed by the Employer’s unfamiliarity with the work performed by our members,” wrote Brielmaier. “As they became more familiar with our members’ work, things moved much more quickly.”

Commenting on the matter, a U of T spokesperson wrote, “Negotiations were collaborative, constructive, and professional throughout, which is reflected in the collective agreement and the positive working relationship between the parties.”

We recognize that the Employer worked with us in good faith,” wrote Brielmaier, on behalf of CUPE 3902 Unit 6. 

Negotiations reached a tentative agreement on December 21, 2021, which was then voted upon by union members. The tentative agreement was unanimously ratified by the union on January 7, 2022.