On September 13, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced that September 19 will be a federal holiday and a day of mourning Queen Elizabeth II’s death. The Queen passed away on September 8, and her funeral will take place on September 19 at St. George’s Chapel at Windsor Castle.

Following Trudeau’s announcement, Ontario Premier Doug Ford announced that the province would not be declaring a provincial holiday on September 19. 

Instead, Ford explained that the province would observe a moment of silence at 1:00 pm on September 19. Ford’s statement reads, “[The moment of silence] will give all Ontarians an opportunity to reflect on the remarkable life of Queen Elizabeth II and her unrelenting commitment to service and duty.”

Ford added in the statement that observing a moment of silence will enable students to be at school and learn about “the many contributions the Queen made to the people of Ontario, Canada, and the entire Commonwealth, as well as the accession of King Charles III.”

In a statement to The Varsity, a U of T spokesperson wrote, “In [alignment with the province’s decision], the University of Toronto will remain open and all activities, including classes, will proceed as scheduled.”

The university encourages members of the U of T community to observe the provincial moment of silence in respect for the Queen.