Toronto sports teams are cursed. The Leafs haven’t won a Stanley Cup since 1967 and a playoff series since 2004. The Blue Jays just blew an 8–1 lead on route to being swept by the Seattle Mariners, and it took a deal with the devil — trading DeMar DeRozan — for the Raptors to finally win a championship. 

The curse that this city has with sports has rubbed off on its biggest celebrity, Drake.

The ‘Drake curse’ is the idea that when Drake poses with a team or athlete, it puts a curse on them. The curse started in 2015, when Drake was spotted with tennis superstar Serena Williams. Drake attended the US Open match that ended her 26-match winning streak. 

The curse returned in 2018, when Conor McGregor posted a photo of him and Drake ahead of the former’s highly anticipated fight with Khabib Nurmagomedov at the UFC. Later that night, Nurmagomedov made McGregor tap out. 

The team that Drake is mostly associated with is the Toronto Raptors, and they have fallen victim to the curse for years. 

The Raptors had a core that couldn’t get over the hump, and while LeBron James was always on the winning side, he wasn’t the only one holding the Raptors back. Drake brought his bad luck courtside to those games. 

Like every horror movie, though, Drake and the Raptors overcame their demon in 2019, when a new friend in Kawhi Leonard led the Raptors to winning their first NBA Championship. 

It was all smiles for Drake; his favourite team won a championship and most importantly, the curse was broken! Or so we thought.

As sports betting became more popular, Drake started posting his bets online, and because of all the money that he was putting down, they went viral. He had success in the 2022 Super Bowl when Odell Beckham Jr. caught a touchdown pass but, despite this success, he still managed to curse Beckham Jr.; the 29 year old tore his anterior cruciate ligament during a noncontact play later in the game. 

Drake won big when the Golden State Warriors won the Western Conference Finals in the 2022 NBA playoffs which netted him an $800,000 payout. 

Regardless of these wins, Formula One driver Charles LeClerc would argue that the curse is still alive, as Drake lost $250,000 on a bet that LeCelerc would win the 2022 Spanish Grand Prix. 

Based on the evidence, Drake’s betting history suggests that he’s defeated the curse that haunted him for years. That being said, if there’s one thing sports betters won’t tell you, it’s their losses.

At this point, the Drake curse appears to be defeated, but much like Michael Myers, come Halloween, the curse could rise again one day.