With a five game winning streak and an 0.857 win percentage, the Varsity Blues men’s basketball team faced the Nipissing Lakers at their home court, hoping to bring home another win. Although the Lakers came into this match with a five-game losing streak, they managed to keep the game close until the end.

What happened

Callum Baker and Noah Ngamba, who both joined the Varsity Blues this season, played key roles in leading the offense, curating creative passes and putting points on the board. Unlike other matches that the Blues have played thus far, there was no telling which team would take an early lead; the first quarter ended with a close 20–18 score and only a two-point lead for the Blues. 

In the second quarter, the Blues applied tighter defensive coverage and rushed the paint more aggressively, which allowed them to take a double-digit lead with less than a minute to halftime. 

A 47–36 lead at the start of the second half gave the Blues the confidence they needed to continue increasing their lead through the rest of the quarter. With just 2.5 seconds left in the third, Blues’ guard, Baker, was hit by Lakers’ guard, Noah LaPierre, and was given a foul. Baker scored both free throws, leading the Blues into the fourth quarter with a 66–56 lead against the Lakers. 

However, the Blues did not stop there: they started the final quarter with an intensity that carried on until the end of the game, determined to finish off strong. As the buzzer went off, the Blues celebrated a hard earned 95–72 win. 

What’s next

All eyes are on the Blues’ dynamic duo Baker and Ngamba, who carried their team to a 23-point lead victory on Friday. Baker secured 27 points and two assists, and Ngamba was right behind him with 20 points and four assists. Going forward, the fans are excited to see what Baker and Ngamba have in store for the rest of their season.

The Blues’ defeated Laurentian University 82–70 on November 26, after another strong performance from Baker and the crew. The Blues now sit first in the Ontario University Athletics central division at 7–1, and are hoping to continue their winning streak throughout the rest of the season.