The Varsity Blues’ swimming teams made a splash in the Athletic Centre pool on Saturday, January 15 in the tri-meet against the Ottawa Gee Gees and York Lions. 

What happened 

The Blues’ women beat the Lions 101–20 and the Gee Gees 97–53, while the men beat Lions 102–43 and Gee Gees 82–68. 

The Blues men’s team, who happen to be 18-time consecutive Ontario University Athletics champions, held their own against the two other teams. 

Bernard Godolphin, prior rookie of the year, won the 100 and 400 freestyle events. Godolphin is now a third-year student and looks to build upon his strong 2022 season. 

Graeme Aylward finished first in the 100 and 200 breaststroke events. Liam Weaver won his 50 freestyle event, with a 22.86 second time, Jacob Gallant won the 200 individual medley (IM), and Michael Sava was victorious in the 200 butterfly.

On the women’s side, Aleksa Gold had one of the strongest performances of the afternoon. Gold won the 400 freestyle, as well as the 100 and 200 backstroke. The fourth year looks to have a strong season after coming first in the 200 freestyle and 400 IM last year. 

Fourth-year Ainsley McMurray also had a great day. McMurray came first in the 100 butterfly and 50 freestyle. As McMurray came up for breaths during her butterfly strokes, you could hear the Blues family shouting “Go! Go!” — a convenient time for her to hear the encouragement. 

Madeline Spencer placed first in the 100 and 200 breaststroke, and Lily Chubaty finished first in the 100 and 200 freestyle.

What’s next

The next dual meet that the Blues will participate in will be on January 21 against the Calgary Dinos. The Dinos men are ranked second and the women are ranked third. Let’s hope the Blues will continue their strong start to the season.