U of T offers various resources for Indigenous students, spread across various platforms and divisions. Each U of T campus includes a separate centre focused on providing resources and hosting events specific to Indigenous community members; UTSG is home to Indigenous Student Services, UTM to the Indigenous Centre, and UTSC to the Indigenous Outreach Program. The Varsity compiled a rundown of academic, cultural, and financial resources for Indigenous members of the U of T community.

First Nations House

Indigenous undergraduate and graduate students attending all three campuses can access academic services at First Nations House (FNH), on the third floor of 563 Spadina Ave. 

FNH provides support for Indigenous applicants to U of T and current students in the form of academic advocacy, financial advising sessions, and tutorial accommodation services. Some faculties and programs, including the Faculty of Law and the Temerty Faculty of Medicine, also provide program-specific academic support to Indigenous students. The FNH also houses the First Nations House Bursary, which is awarded to undergraduate Indigenous students who demonstrate financial need. 

FNH hosts an orientation for incoming Indigenous students in September and events and programs for Indigenous students throughout the academic year, including traditional talking circles, a career fair, and workshops. It also hosts Indigenous Education Week, which is an annual tri-campus event in October. The week features programs and events highlighting Indigenous art, histories, and ways of knowing. Additionally, Indigenous community members can meet with Indigenous Elders and Knowledge Keepers for traditional teaching and advising at all three campuses. 

Indigenous students can also participate in the FNH Student Advisory Committee, which collaborates with staff at FNH to develop programming and strategic initiatives. 

Indigenous Research Network

The Indigenous Research Network (IRN) provides resources and support for members of the university community. These include training on Indigenous research methods and ethics, information about securing research funding, connections to Indigenous communities, and cultural and spiritual support for individual researchers. 

The IRN also provides research supports to Indigenous communities, connecting them to U of T researchers who specialize in Indigenous research, facilitating networking opportunities with other Indigenous communities, and giving methods and ethics training.

Indigenous House

At UTSC, Indigenous House serves as a space for celebrating Indigenous ways of knowing and provides support to Indigenous community members. The Indigenous Outreach Program at UTSC also hosts events, including a beading circle and language lessons. 

Indigenous Centre

The Indigenous Centre, located at UTM, provides resources and support for Indigenous community members. They also host events, including the upcoming All-Nations Powwow on March 25, 2023. 

Financial Aid

The university offers scholarships and bursaries for Indigenous undergraduate and graduate students at all campuses.

In addition to the FNH Bursary, the Indigenous Student Bursary is available to all undergraduate students based on financial need. Indigenous students who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents can access the Bennett Scholars Bursary based on financial need. 

U of T undergraduate scholarships based on achievements in academics and extracurriculars include the Gertrude Elgin Robson Scholarship for Indigenous Students, the Dr. Lillian McGregor Indigenous Award of Excellence, the Marilyn Van Norman Indigenous Student Leadership Award, and the President’s Award for the Outstanding Indigenous Student of the Year. 

The School of Graduate Studies (SGS) provides awards for Indigenous graduate students pursuing a PhD-track program through the Inclusive Excellence Admissions Scholarships for Master’s Students. This three-year pilot program aims to diversify academia and provide financial support to students from underrepresented groups in academia. As part of the pilot program, the SGS will provide 100 admission scholarships to students, each valued at $15,000. The SGS also provides an Indigenous Travel Grant to assist Indigenous students with travel expenses associated with participating in research or academic conferences.

A more comprehensive list of scholarships and bursaries — including program-specific awards and external awards, as well as application instructions and deadlines — can be found through U of T Student Life.