Having lost their last three games, the Varsity Blues men’s volleyball team bounced back to beat the Guelph Gryphons 3–0 on February 3. The Blues had also beaten the Gryphons 3–0 on January 7 and have now won their last five games against them. 

“We had a tough weekend last [week],” said Varsity Blues left side Evan Falardeau in a post-game interview with The Varsity. “So to come out and win 3–0 [with] everyone having a good game is big for us right now.” 

What happened

The Blues started perfectly, taking a 4–0 lead. With setter Davis Young providing all 13 assists and the team committing only two attack errors, the Blues’ dominance never capitulated as they won the set 25–15. 

Early in the second set, Falardeau energized the team with three kills to give the Blues an 8–1 lead. Yet a mix of service and attack errors handed points to the Gryphons and intensified the game, with the score at 17–15. Nevertheless, with his eighth kill of the set, Falardeau ensured that the Blues won 25–20. 

Falardeau leads the Ontario University Athletics in kills with 292 in total and averages 4.29 kills per set — the third highest in the league. 

“[I do] whatever I can do to help the team get a win,” said Falardeau. “If it has to be kills, serving, passing, [or] whatever it is [to win].”

As the third set began, the audience got a sense of déjà vu as the Blues once again took an early dominant lead. The Blues built a 14–6 lead thanks to some impressive kills from Falardeau and left side Jayden Talsma. With Young setting them up, Talsma and Falardeau continued to dominate to win the set 25–16 and complete the sweep. 

In the end, Talsma led the team with 14 kills and 4 digs, while Falardeau also impressed with 11 kills, 6 digs, and 2 blocks. Meanwhile, as the team’s sole setter for the night, Young finished the game with 35 assists. 

What’s next

After their loss to the TMU Bold on February 4, the Blues will head to North Bay next week to take on Nipissing University, before playing McMaster Marauders on February 19 as the last game before playoffs. The Blues are now 11–6.