The Toronto Police Service (TPS) is investigating seven reports of voyeurism that took place on the UTSG campus. According to the TPS, U of T Campus Safety received reports of voyeurism  in the area of New College between July and October 2023. 

On October 24, Campus Safety released a community safety alert, which it emailed to the U of T community. 

The alert came more than two months after Campus Safety initially announced one of the reported incidents of voyeurism in an earlier community safety alert in August 2023. 

The incidents

In an email to students on October 24, Campus Safety alerted U of T community members that it had received several reports of an individual going into women’s washrooms and all-gender showers at 40 Willcocks St and 21 Classic Ave.  

In some incidents, the individual positioned a cell phone under bathroom stall doors, possibly to record those occupying the stall.

Campus Safety has increased patrols on campus and is currently collaborating with the Toronto Police. Campus Safety encourages anyone who observes the individual to not engage and to contact Campus Safety. 

The individual is described as a man between 15 and 22 years of age, approximately 5’5”-5’7”, with short black hair.

Student-led resources 

Following the Campus Safety Alert, New College Against Sexual Assault & Harassment (NASAH) — a student advocacy group that provides support and resources for students and a branch of the Prevention, Empowerment, Advocacy, Respose, for Survivors Project— posted a story highlighting its peer support services. Students can sign up for an in person or online meeting with a NASAH executive — who can refer them to various supports — using a form in the group’s Instagram bio. 

Campus Safety resources

In its community safety alert, Campus Safety provided a list of safety programs available to members of the U of T community. 

U of T’s Sexual Violence Prevention & Support Centre provides supports for students, staff, and faculty including phone and virtual counselling and help accessing academic or workplace accommodations, financial aid, and legal aid. 

The Community Safety Office offers short-term support including consultations, intervention options, and co-created safety plans for U of T community members experiencing personal safety concerns. 

The alert also reminded students about the U of T Campus Safety App which offers programs such as TravelSafer — a 24/7 service that allows community members to arrange a Campus Safety escort to buildings on campus or adjacent TTC stations — as well as Virtual TravelSafer and Mobile Bluelight — features that allow community members to send their location to Campus Safety and call for help in an emergency.