On October 25, the Blues women’s soccer team travelled to Ottawa to play against the Carleton Ravens in the first round of the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) playoffs. In a tight game, the Blues’ defence held strong, shutting out the Ravens and earning a 1–0 victory — advancing into the next round. 

What happened

The game started with both teams passing the ball around, attempting to get a precise scoring opportunity. The Ravens were more successful and threatened to take the lead early on with a free kick and a dangerous corner kick that threatened the goal. Nevertheless, 16 minutes into the game, Blues captain Hannah Chown sent a long pass into the box that then bounced into the path of third-year Blues forward Anne Yeomans, who calmly slotted the ball into the Ravens’ net. 

For the rest of the first half, the Ravens fought hard to score an equalizer, forcing Blues goalkeeper Maria Godoy-Atrash to make four saves. Yet the Blues held strong and continued to apply pressure, as the Ravens’ goalkeeper, Chloe Lachance-Soula, had to make two saves. 

In the second half, the Blues were held back and made to defend their own goal. Early in the half, Blues forward Natasha Budisa received a yellow card — the only one in the game. For the rest of the game, the Blues didn’t register a single shot on target, while the Ravens forced three saves out of Godoy-Atrash. 

Ultimately, the Blues maintained control and sealed their victory. Godoy-Atrash recorded her fifth shutout of the season, while Yeomans recorded her fifth goal of the season. 

What’s next

On October 28, the Blues headed to Ottawa again to play against the undefeated University of Ottawa Gee-Gees in the OUA quarterfinals. Earlier this season, the Blues lost 3–2 to the Gee-Gees in a thrilling encounter at Varsity Stadium. They hoped to get revenge against the number-one ranked team in the country this time but fell short, losing 3–0.