The Scarborough Campus Students’ Union’s (SCSU) vice-president equity will have the opportunity to raise awareness of discrimination at UTSC and in the community, ensure that the union’s actions reflect the union’s anti-oppression stances, and liaise with U of T offices, departments, and organizations. The Varsity spoke with both candidates for the role, who UTSC students will have the opportunity to choose between during the March 4–6 elections.

Aanya Sinha (ELEVATE UTSC)

Aanya Sinha, a fourth-year international student double majoring in psychology and religious literature, is running as part of the ELEVATE UTSC slate.

Currently, Sinha is a part of the Mental Health Advisory Board led by Neel Joshi, Dean of Student Experience & Wellbeing. She believes her experience in mental health advocacy and awareness makes her well-suited for the role. 

“I care about people and I care about how UTSC is forming… I am very proud to say I’m from UTSC and I want to make sure that that legacy goes on,” she told The Varsity. 

Her platform focuses on organizing events for cultural understanding and enhancing mental health on campus. Sinha, who identifies as LGBTQ+, wants to highlight related events and initiate more collaboration with cultural clubs. She also wants to support facilities, improve safe spaces funding, increase scholarships, and promote equity by ensuring accessibility to resources.

Sinha says she is devoted to making sure union members support students by promoting transparency. “I think the biggest problem a lot of students go through is not knowing about community and not having friends that are going through the same thing as them.” 

Lalise Shifara (IMPACT UTSC)

Lalise Shifara, a fourth-year student specializing in English literature, is a candidate for VP equity with the IMPACT UTSC slate. 

Shifara hopes to establish a Community Care Center as a part of the Student Center expansion to prioritize proactive outreach to address student well-being. She also plans to implement an online tool where students can share their experiences related to discrimination anonymously as a way to “pinpoint recurrences” of particular issues. Finally, she hopes to partner with LGBTQ+ organizations to introduce new bursaries, programming, and safe spaces. 

“I’m running for this role because I’m passionate about providing that inclusive environment for all UTSC students and uplifting the diverse and underrepresented communities here on campus,” Shifara told The Varsity. “I want everyone to be seen and heard. And I’m here to listen and take responsibility to act on students’ concerns.” 

Shifara said that she aims to work with the president to propose policies that provide financial, academic, and emotional support to those from distressed regions. She also plans to engage with a wide range of campus groups to run events specific to certain marginalized groups. Shifara’s experience includes helping with Frosh, teaching youth at her community centre, and participating in Black Student Engagement — a program through UTSC’s Office of Student Experience & Wellbeing that provides spaces for Black students to access support services.