This year, hockey fans had a new league to cheer for with the debut of the Professional Women’s Hockey League (PWHL). The inaugural season was packed with excitement and passion, culminating in Minnesota’s underdog victory as they lifted the Walter Cup after defeating Toronto and Boston in the first PWHL playoffs. As the 2023–2024 season wraps up, fans and analysts reflect on a year filled with record-breaking moments and groundbreaking progress for women’s hockey.

PWHL Toronto’s remarkable season

Despite a slow start to the season, the teams level of play captivated fans and set a high standard for the rest of the league. Led by a dynamic roster of seasoned veterans and promising young talent, Toronto consistently displayed a blend of tactical prowess and raw skill.

Finishing the regular season in first place, Toronto was able to select their playoff opponent thanks to a unique PWHL rule where the number one ranked team (the team with the most Draft Order Points) chooses their first round opponent out of the other three playoff teams. Toronto selected fourth-seed PWHL Minnesota before enduring a reverse sweep, losing the series 32. 

Several Toronto players have been recognized for their exceptional performances this season. Some notable achievements included Natalie Spooner winning the prestigious Billie Jean King MVP award and PWHL Forward of the Year. Netminder Kristen Campbell was honored as the PWHL Goaltender of the Year, while Emma Maltais earned a nomination for PWHL Rookie of the Year. The team’s success was further highlighted by head coach Troy Ryan receiving the PWHL Coach of the Year award.

Toronto’s players, including forwards Sarah Nurse and Captain Blayre Turnbull, were invited to a 3-on-3 showcase playing with and against their fellow PHWL stars during this year’s National Hockey League (NHL) All-Star game. PWHL’s growth was visible, as the sport gained social media attention from popular media outlets including Sportsnet and The Sports Network.

The support from Toronto’s fan base has also been phenomenal. In February, PWHL Toronto’s first game at Scotiabank Arena set a league and women’s hockey attendance record at the time with an electrifying crowd of 19,285 attendees. The record was broken by 21,000 fans of PWHL Montreal in April. The strong community support of PWHL teams has underscored the growing popularity of women’s hockey in Canada.

PWHL Toronto has proven so popular that the franchise is considering moving out of their home arena: the 2,600 person capacity Mattamy Athletic Centre. PWHL Toronto sold out all tickets for their 12 home games before the 2023–2024 season even began, and sold out Coca-Cola Coliseum when they moved there for their playoff games. 

PWHL and the growth of womens hockey

One of the most significant achievements of the PWHL has been its impact on young women athletes. The league’s efforts to engage with youth hockey programs and provide role models for aspiring players are crucial steps toward ensuring the sport’s growth and sustainability. A prime example is Nurse’s “Nursey Night” — an initiative aimed at introducing girls from marginalized communities to hockey.

Despite the league’s efforts, it’s important to note that the PWHL’s minimum salary is US $35,000, while the NHL’s minimum in 2023 was US $775,000. I hope the leagues business model, which includes fairer compensation, benefits, professional working conditions for players, and professional women’s hockey’s first collective bargaining agreement, sets a precedent for how women’s sports can and should be supported. 

The PWHL’s approach not only benefits the players but also enhances the league’s reputation and appeal, attracting sponsors and investors who are keen to be associated with a progressive and successful sports organization. The PWHL has even won the 2024 Sports Breakthrough of the Year award at the Sports Business Awards, celebrating the league’s success in their inaugural year. 

The league’s commitment to providing a platform for elite women athletes has been evident in the high level of competition and the thrilling quality of play. Teams across the PWHL have showcased exceptional talent, from the speed and skill of forwards to the agility and reflexes of goaltenders. This season has also highlighted the depth of talent available in women’s hockey, dispelling archaic yet lingering doubts about womens’ sports competitiveness and entertainment value.

Looking ahead

The success of the PWHL’s inaugural season bodes well for the future of women’s hockey. The league has established a strong foundation, demonstrating that there is a substantial growing market for professional women’s sports. The record-breaking achievements, both on and off the ice, are a testament to the league’s potential to become a major force in the world of professional sports. 

Looking ahead to next year, there is excitement and anticipation for the PWHL to introduce team names and logos, which will further solidify the league’s identity and appeal. There is also hope for the league’s eventual expansion, which would grow the game and bring it to new markets. 

The ultimate goal of the league should be to elevate the PWHL to the level of prominence and prestige enjoyed by the NHL, creating a robust and thriving league that stands as a testament to the growth and success of women’s hockey. As the season comes to a close, the PWHL has not only set new records but also paved the way for a promising future for women’s hockey — inspiring a new generation of athletes and fans alike.