Sitting in the stands with your friends, cheering on your university team, waiting with bated breath for that last point to be scored — that’s the magic of sports. Whether it’s the precision of a tennis serve, the grace of a gymnast, or the intensity of a 100-metre sprint, sports remind us that we can defy the odds, break records, and chase the thrill of victory. 

Each of the Varsity Blues athletes, staff, and alumni have all had remarkable athletic journeys in their university years, building up to their competition in the 2024 Paris Olympics. Here are some Varsity Blues athletes, staff, and alumni who represented Canada in Paris this summer.

Swimming: Kylie Masse

Kylie Masse is a veteran Olympian, five-time Ontario University Athletics (OUA) swimmer of the year, five-time first team OUA All-Star, and four-time U Sports woman swimmer of the year. 

Masse represented Canada for the third time in Paris after winning the bronze medal in the 100-metre backstroke at the 2016 Rio Olympics. In the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, not only did Masse win a bronze as a member of Canada’s 4×100-metre relay, but she also won two silver medals in the 100-metre and 200-metre backstroke events.

The most recent accolade of her illustrious career is another bronze medal in the 200-metre backstroke at the 2024 Paris Olympics. She is also a world record holder for completing the 100-metre backstroke in 58.10 seconds at the 2017 World Aquatics Championships and went on to defend it at the 2019 Championships in Gwangju, South Korea. 

During her undergraduate studies at U of T from 2014 to 2019, Masse dominated the OUA and went undefeated in backstroke races across five championships. She was also U of T’s woman athlete of the year for four consecutive years. 

Badminton: Michelle Li

Propelling the Varsity Blues badminton team to winning their first OUA championships in 10 years, Michelle Li has left an indelible mark in badminton at U of T and the 2024 Paris Olympics. 

After debuting in the 2012 London Olympics, the Paris Olympics was her fourth Olympics appearance. This year, she played two matches, though she lost the second one. 

However, after finishing on an impressive fourth place in the 2012 London Olympics in the women’s doubles event, Li is considered to be the most successful Canadian woman badminton player ever. The six-time Pan American Championship singles gold medalist also achieved a top 10 finish in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. She is the first Canadian woman to win a singles gold at the Commonwealth Games and was also crowned OUA woman MVP in 2013. 

Track and Field: Jazz Shukla and Lucia Stafford

Competing in her first Olympics, Jazz Shukla steadily rose up the ranks of Canadian athletics and won the national title in the 800m race. Throughout her time at U of T between 2016 and 2022, she earned U SPORTS first-team All-Canadian and OUA first-team All-Star honours in cross country and track. In her 2024 Olympics debut, Jazz fell just short of reaching the 800m semifinal. 

Lucia Stafford competed in her second Olympics after reaching the semifinals in the 1500-metre race in the 2020 Tokyo Games. She also recently set a new 2000-metre Canadian record in her debut at Diamond League: an annual series of track and field athletic competitions. The Varsity Blues alumna was named the U of T woman athlete of the year and the OUA woman athlete of the year across all sports in 2020. 

Beach Volleyball: Heather Bansley

Heather Bansley is considered among the best defensive beach volleyball players in the world and has competed in the 2016 Rio and 2020 Tokyo Olympics — placing fifth overall in both. She was recognized as the world’s best defender in the 2015, 2016, and 2018 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour. Bansley and her partner Sophie Bukovec lost in the preliminary round in the 2024 Paris Olympics. 

As a U of T student-athlete, she was a two-time all-Canadian athlete and an instrumental player in helping the Blues secure an OUA Championship title. Bansley was also the assistant coach for U of T in 2021–2022. 

U of T coaches and staff at the Olympics

Byron MacDonald entered his 47th season as the swimming head coach with the Varsity Blues and attended his 10th Olympic Games as a broadcaster. 

A U of T alumna who earned her Doctor of Medicine in 2014, Jane Thornton was Team Canada’s chief medical officer at 2024 Paris. 

In volleyball, Ed Drakich went to the 2024 Paris Olympics as a volleyball technical official for the fifth time. He also represented Canada in the 1996 Olympics and several other international tournaments and was an assistant coach with the Varsity Blues in 1989–1990. 

Linda Kiefer, a swimming coach for the Blues at her sixth Olympic Games, coached Masse for the 2016 Rio Olympics, 2020 Tokyo Olympics, and the 2017 FINA World Championships, where she set the world record. Kiefer was a backstroker for the Varsity Blues and has multiple coach of the year accolades from both the OUA and U Sports — spanning two decades. 

Ron Castro was a massage therapist to the Canadian swimming team and is also a fellow alumnus of the Faculty of Kinesiology & Physical Education. 

U of T’s presence at the 2024 Paris Olympics was nothing short of legendary. These U of T stars have showcased grit, talent, and the spirit of excellence on the world’s grandest stage.