Gone are the days when job seekers would rely on paper résumés. With applicant tracking systems (ATS) — which automates the recruiting process by organizing job postings, résumés, and candidate profiles in a single platform — becoming increasingly prominent, it’s vital to craft a résumé that resonates with both technology and human readers. With recruitment season right around the corner, The Varsity interviewed hiring managers to offer key tips on crafting the optimal résumé for the modern market.

Failing to customize your résumé for ATS compatibility

According to Sheila Lau, an employment strategist at the UTM Career Centre, ATS often stands between the résumé and the recruiter. She noted that software like an ATS  scans candidates’ submitted documents, LinkedIn profiles, and online portfolios.

As a result, it’s important to enhance your digital presence and incorporate relevant keywords from the job description in your résumé. Lau advised students to “avoid generalized statements, and instead quantify or qualify your impact.” 

For instance, instead of saying you “managed projects,” you could say that you “led a team of five to complete [a project], resulting in [a] 15 per cent increase in efficiency.’ 

Linnet Kocheril, Placement and Employer Relations Manager at UTM, emphasized that candidates should ensure the qualities they convey in writing align with the employer’s listed qualifications to pass the initial screening. Drawing from personal experience, he advocates for the “T-chart approach” — a method that involves listing keywords from the job description on one side of the chart and matching them with your relevant experiences on the other.

Overusing templates 

Kocheril warns against overusing résumé templates. While they are a strong starting point, he strongly advised that “this is your résumé — make it yours.”

While acknowledging that most résumés may look similar, he emphasized personalization and adding fresh perspectives. “My best recommendation is go talk to people with different résumés… talk to someone who recently just got into the role.” 

Earl Chua — manager at BuildABILITY, a construction and design company that focuses on real estate development — recommends that job seekers send résumés in accessible formats and  run tests to confirm they can be opened without issues. Additionally, Chua said successful résumés are “to the point, concise, and straightforward,” further emphasizing that “effective communication is one of the most important skills to have as a young professional.” 

Being too conventional in your job experience

The eternal question: “How do I get a job if I have no job experience?” 

As Kocheril noted, breaking into the job market without prior experience can seem daunting, but it’s not impossible. There are opportunities available online, whether through voluntary work or personal initiatives and it is important to develop “technical skills” through each project. Lau also emphasized the importance of “[getting] outside, beyond the classroom,” obtaining certifications, and attending workshops.

Each of these experiences helps you develop and showcase your skills, ultimately building a portfolio that highlights your abilities and commitment to a job. By seeking out and engaging in these opportunities, you can effectively create a pathway to your desired career, even without the traditional job experience. 

Failing to maintain details over time

While many students face a full-time course load, part-time jobs, and extracurricular activities, it becomes increasingly important to maintain what Kocheril calls a “master résumé.” 

Essentially, a master résumé is a document that keeps track of “every iteration of a résumé you’ve made.” This serves as a comprehensive record of all your experiences, skills, and accomplishments, allowing you to easily tailor your applications.

Additionally, Lau urges applicants to focus on “skills, as opposed to just listing responsibilities and tasks” in their résumés. 

This allows for a more efficient application process, where job-seeking students can easily reference and tailor specific experiences. 

Fearing rejection in networking 

Kocheril stressed the importance of networking when building one’s résumé, claiming that networking and attending events will help students. He emphasized that students should not shy away from opportunities and advised using the “buddy-method” — bringing a friend with you to events to help you feel more comfortable — to combat any nerves.

Kocheril further highlighted the importance of interacting with associates at networking events rather than focusing on senior-level representatives. He suggested that engaging with junior associates helps ensure that your name is better remembered during debriefing sessions among company employees across all levels.

Overall, networking opportunities can help you compose a stronger résumé and increase the chances of delivering your résumé directly to recruiters.