Sports is one of those topics that people hardly ever agree on. Whether it’s ranking the greatest athletes and the best teams, or debating game outcomes, everyone has their opinions. When it comes to movies, the arguments are just as fierce. Everyone has favourite films, actors, and directors. No list will ever satisfy every film lover. 

Combine the two — sports and movies — and you have a recipe for endless debate. So The Varsity decided to weigh-in and revamp our list of the best sports movies based on real stories, which will likely spark both agreement and debate. 

Raging Bull (1980) 

If you are a Martin Scorsese fan, you probably love this movie. This is what made me fall in love with Scorsese’s work. Few sports movies dig as deep into the human soul as Raging Bull, which tells the story of Jake LaMotta (Robert De Niro), a troubled and volatile boxer whose greatest fights took place outside of the ring. Unlike most sports movies — which are often about a heroic story — this is a movie about anger and self-destruction. Kent Garrison, podcast producer for The Athletic, said Raging Bull would be his first choice when recommending a boxing movie.

Remember the Titans (2000)

I‘m a simple guy — if Denzel Washington is in a movie, I’m going to like it. Remember the Titans is a classic sports movie that inspires you and they cast the right actor to do so. Set in the 70s, the movie tells the true story of an American high school football team in Virginia facing the challenges of racial integration. The movie is about fighting racism and finding unity, brotherhood, and leadership through sports. While the film’s depiction of racism can lack nuance and the script is somewhat cliché at times, Remember the Titans still delivers a heart-warming narrative at its core. If you love inspiring sports movies, this is a must-watch. 

Moneyball (2011)

Moneyball breaks away from traditional sports movie formulas by focusing on strategy over action. The biographical story is almost too good to be true. It follows baseball team manager Billy Beane (Brad Pitt) who uses data and analytics to build a competitive baseball team with a limited budget. It questions the modern view of sports where star players are seen as the only way to success. The film shows that if you know what you’re looking for and where to find it, there will always be something valuable. It’s the ultimate underdog story: a perfect blend of reality and fairy tale. 

Offside (2006) 

Offside offers a unique perspective on sports by focusing on a group of Iranian women who disguise themselves as men to attend a World Cup qualifying match, where women are banned from stadiums. Director Jafar Panahi’s daughter’s experience of being denied from entering a stadium was part of the real-life inspiration behind the movie. Throughout the film, the director raises questions about gender inequality, politics, and law. Unlike other sports movies, it is not about the game itself but more about the women’s struggle and fight to be a part of it. 

Iron Claw (2023)

Iron Claw is the most tragic movie I’ve seen in a long time, but the real-life story of the Von Erich wrestling family is even more tragic than depicted. The movie is a deeply emotional portrayal of the highs and lows of the professional wrestling world. It explores nuanced topics like toxic masculinity, generational trauma, and emotional abuse and the heavy consequences they bring. If you can handle the heartbreak, the film’s cinematography makes it a truly remarkable visual masterpiece.