The Varsity Blues football team dropped to 1–4 after losing to the York University Lions in their annual Blue and Red rivalry game on September 21 at the Varsity Stadium. The Blues dominated the Lions in recent years, with their last loss being in 2019, but today it was York’s turn to hoist the Argo Cup. The Blues now sit in 10th´ place in the Ontario University Athletics— just ahead of the winless Waterloo Warriors. 

What happened

It was a defensive battle in the first quarter with both teams struggling on offense. The Blues turned the ball over on third down on their first drive, and the Lions converted the turnover into a field goal. The Toronto defense was stout through the rest of the quarter, punctuated by defensive-back Brayden Parker’s key interception, when he jumped in front of an errant Lions’ throw. The Blues turned this interception into a field goal to end the quarter.

The Blues conceded a safety in the second quarter when pinned on third down at their own 1-yard line, but they retaliated on their next drive. Despite pouring rain driving fans into the concourse area, Blues receiver Chris Joseph made a leaping 30-yard catch between two Lions defenders, putting the Blues on the Lions’ 16-yard line. Blues’ quarterback Kaleb O’Donoghue found receiver Dane Hurley wide open in the endzone on the next play for a sorely needed touchdown. The Lions narrowed the lead with another field goal, making it a 10–8 game for the Blues at halftime. 

The Blues struggled with turnovers in the third quarter, throwing an interception on their first drive. They started their next drive on their own 1-yard line and, despite stringing together a 49-yard drive, Toronto turned it over on third down with six minutes left in the quarter. The Lions exchanged a field goal for a Toronto one-point rouge, tying the game 11–11 before heading into the final frame. 

The Lions opened the final quarter with a 75-yard run for a touchdown. A key punt for a rouge on their next drive made the score 11–19. The Blues took possession of the ball with around two minutes left in the game and drove to the Lions’ 15-yard line. O’Donoghue made a gutsy toss on third down into the left corner of the endzone and Hurley brought it in for his second touchdown of the contest. The Blues came up short on the two-point conversion, but ended the game 17–19 for the Lions.

What’s next? 

The Blues showed flashes of greatness in the game , despite the loss. “We have some of the best receivers in this league, some of the best offensive linemen in this league, and I trust my guys so much. All I gotta do is put the ball up there and they catch it, they make the plays,” O’Donoghue told The Varsity

Toronto fans should remain optimistic, but a win this weekend on September 28 against Windsor Lancers away from home is crucial if the Blues are going to make the playoffs as they look to improve their 1–4 record.