On September 22, the Varsity Blues men’s baseball faced the York Lions in this season’s first doubleheader game at the Blues’ Dan Lang Field. In the first game of the doubleheader, the Blues unfortunately lost 7–4 to the Lions. However, they bounced back in the second game, securing a 7–6 victory.

First game 

During the first game, the Blues had a rough start when the York Lions’ catcher Colin Shier singled, scoring one run in the first inning. Shortly after, the Blues gained support from their teammates in the dugout, leading infielder Carter Hercun to single in the second inning — equalizing the score at 1–1. 

Toward the end of the third inning, the Blues came in strong when infielder Ryan Hsu singled, putting them ahead 2–1. This gave the Blues an upper hand for the remainder of the inning. 

Neither the Blues nor the Lions were able to score during the next three innings, keeping the Blues ahead 2–1. 

Suddenly, in the seventh inning, the game took a drastic turn when the Lions scored five runs on four hits, taking a 7–2 lead. Unfortunately, the Blues were unable to regain their momentum to tie the game in the remaining innings, resulting in a 7–4 loss.

Throughout the game, Hercun collected three hits in four at-bats, including singles in the second and third innings and a double in the seventh. Hsu also contributed with two hits in three at-bats. The Blues tallied 11 hits and stole three bases during the game.

The Varsity Blues played a strong hitting game. COURTESY OF NATHAN ORIBHABOR CC VARSITY BLUES MEDIA

Second game

As the second game began, the Blues entered with renewed motivation to secure a victory. 

Like the first game, the Blues faced a rough start. However, they quickly rallied, taking a 4–3 lead in the bottom of the second inning with contributions from infielder Aaron Kreithen, who doubled; outfielder Ricardo Reyes, who singled; utility Owen Taylor, who grounded out; and pitcher Kevin Angers, who also singled — altogether scoring four runs for the Blues.

The Lions unexpectedly took a 6–5 lead in the sixth inning. With outfielder Daniel Carlino and pitcher Aidan Darien each hitting singles, and outfield Ryan Freeman drawing a walk, the inning resulted in three runs for the Lions. 

Shortly after, the Blues regained their lead in the bottom of the sixth inning when Hsu singled and Kreithen walked, each scoring a run to end the second game at 7–6 in favour of the Blues.

Pitcher Kenoto Moriyoshi sends a ball flying from the mound. COURTESY OF NATHAN ORIBHABOR CC VARSITY BLUES MEDIA

Pitcher Matthew Baici was a tremendous asset for the Blues during the second game, allowing zero hits or runs over one-third of an inning while striking out one and walking two. Altogether, the Blues collected 14 hits, stole eight bases, and turned one double play. 

What’s next?

The Blues are back in action at their home field on Saturday, September 28, as they go against TMU Bold in hopes of securing a win in their first face-off against them this season.