It’s that time of the year again.

Hockey season is right around the corner, bringing with it the eternal hope that the new season for the Toronto Maple Leafs inspires. After an offseason filled with multiple changes, fans are eager for another strong season and a deep playoff run that culminates in a Stanley Cup. It has been 57 years since the Leafs last lifted the elusive trophy — a stat that every fan knows all too well. However, with a new head coach and a bolstered defense, the team hopes that 2025 will be the year when the parade can finally be planned. 

For all the criticism that the Leafs face regarding their playoff woes, it is still difficult to make it to the postseason. Since superstar Auston Matthews was drafted in 2016, the Leafs haven’t missed the playoffs once. They have made the dance for eight straight years — a league-best active streak. Furthermore, they have enjoyed three consecutive 100-point seasons, regularly finishing among the top teams in the NHL. 

The question, of course, is whether the Leafs can make a run in the playoffs, where the games really begin to matter. The team is at a point where the regular season arguably doesn’t matter anymore; it’s all about what happens in April and beyond. 

Off-season moves

The Leafs didn’t grab too many headlines with their offseason moves beyond the hiring of Stanley Cup winning coach Craig Berube and the constant trade rumours surrounding star winger Mitch Marner. However, in his first full offseason as Leafs General Manager, Brad Treliving managed to make some savvy acquisitions to improve the team under his vision of surrounding his star players with “snot.” 

The most notable free-agent signing was defenseman Christopher Tanev, who projects to be a physical, hard-nosed right-hander who will pair excellently with longtime Leaf Morgan Rielly. A six-year contract is lengthy for the 34-year-old veteran, but it allowed Tanev to sign for a lower cap hit of $4.5 million, which is essential for a Leafs team paying over $10 million per year to each of its “Big Four” of Matthews, Marner, William Nylander, and John Tavares.

Other defensive signings included Oliver Ekman-Larsson, who experienced a run of good form en route to a Stanley Cup with the Florida Panthers this past year, and Jani Hakanpää, whom the Leafs hope is a penalty-killing powerhouse despite injury concerns. Between the pipes, the Leafs made an excellent signing in goaltender Anthony Stolarz, who also won the Stanley Cup with the Panthers and looks to form a solid tandem with recently extended goalie Joseph Woll. The hope is that Woll takes the next step after showing promise in his past two seasons to compete with division rivals like Sergei Bobrovsky, Andrei Vasilevskiy, and Jeremy Swayman, with Stolarz as an exceptional insurance policy. 

Another big storyline for the team was the change in captains from Tavares to Matthews, in a clear sign that we are firmly in the Matthews era. With only a year left in Tavares’ contract, it’s unclear just where the former captain stands in the team’s plans.

Young guns

Given the Leafs were second in goals per game last season, the forward group didn’t undergo as much of an overhaul. Instead, they’re focusing on development from within. After a strong rookie season and playoff performance, Matthew Knies is expected to form a formidable first line with Matthews and Marner. Bobby McMann became a lineup regular last season and will look to build on his role, while Nick Robertson, after a failed trade request, hopes to see consistent playtime among the Leafs’ top players. 

Other prospects are also vying for roster spots and could provide valuable depth for the Leafs’ forward group. 2023 first-round pick Easton Cowan is a player to watch after he excelled in the Ontario Hockey League last year, as is Fraser Minten. The Leafs have signed forwards Max Pacioretty and Steven Lorentz to professional tryout contracts; their preseason performance will determine if they secure full-time NHL contracts. 

Every training camp has an under-the-radar standout, and eyes are on Nikita Grebenkin, a fifth-round prospect who impressed in his first preseason game against the Ottawa Senators. Secondary scoring is hard to come by in the NHL, and if a few of these forwards can step up and improve their game, then it will bode extremely well for the Leafs. 

Overall, the Leafs made sound improvements to their roster and are primed for another great regular season. However, no discussion of this team is complete without mentioning the core four. The group underwent heavy scrutiny over the summer, with endless calls from fans and media for them to be split up via trade. However, Leafs management opted to keep them together and run it back. Frankly, it’s not a terrible move. Superstar talent is hard to find in the NHL, and Treliving seems to recognize this. He has supplemented his stars with an array of complementary forwards and defensemen who play with a physical edge and will do anything to win. 

Both Marner and Tavares have a year left on their contracts, making this year pivotal for the Leafs. A run that ends in anything significantly less than a championship would raise several difficult questions. Playing in a tough Atlantic Division doesn’t make things easier. However, this team has a new energy. Matthews is the new captain; Berube brings competitive, team-first leadership to the organization; and the defense is the best it has been in years — perhaps ever in the Matthews era. The road to glory will be tough, but the Leafs are ready to win the Stanley Cup in 2025. After a litany of playoff woes, the time for this team to break through and silence the noise is now. Let’s see if they seize the opportunity.