On September 28, the Varsity Blues women’s rugby team secured a well-deserved win, defeating the Trent Excalibur 33–22 with an impressive first-half performance at the Varsity Stadium. Before the game, both teams had a 1–3 record but the Excalibur was ahead by a bonus league point awarded for games decided by a difference of seven points or fewer. 

Before the match, the Blues celebrated their graduating players — Tristan McElrea, Emma Yang, Sadie Kabrhel, Anne Lee, Lillian Clayton, Kristen Borja, Katie McLeod, Kenzie Wass, and Hafsa Ezzo — as they took to the pitch for their last-ever home game as Blues.

What happened?

The Blues had an explosive start to the game, with flanker Yang scoring a try within the second minute. Kahbrel followed up with a successful conversion, almost immediately putting the team ahead 7–0. In the opening 10 minutes, the Blues’ forwards applied intense pressure on the Excalibur line, keeping the ball firmly in Trent’s half. The team’s defense could only be described as Hydra-like: when one player got beat, two more rushed in to cover — leaving the Excalibur with almost no time on the ball. 

At the 13-minute mark, fly-half Sydney Heighington’s tenacious running down the wings paid off with the Blues’ second try of the game. Just three minutes later, prop Mary Adewa continued the offensive onslaught, as she burst through the Excalibur backline to score another try. Scrum half Kabhrel’s conversion brought the score to 19–0, with the Blues seemingly on the verge of a blowout. The first half closed with the Blues in complete control — often forcing the Excalibur to clear the ball with drop-kicks to relieve the waves of the rushing Blues forwards.

The Varsity Blues play through tackles with perseverance. JAKE TAKEUCHI/THE VARSITY

However, the second half saw a revitalized Excalibur mount what seemed to be their burgeoning comeback. A scrappy start to the half led to the Blues conceding a try on Excalibur’s first threatening play of the day, six minutes in.

On the subsequent restart, Adewa flew through the air to reclaim a Blues kickoff, proving to be an absolute force for the home side. She claimed her second try of the night on the next play with a gorgeous fake pass to split the Excalibur backline. Kahbrel’s successful conversion extended the Blues’ lead to a comfortable 26–5. 

Unfortunately, after Adewa’s try, all momentum shifted to the Excalibur as they stacked three tries and a conversion, bringing the score to 26–22 and putting them within one try of the lead. As the crowd held their breath for a nerve-wracking ending to the game, Yang stepped up once again — cutting through Excalibur’s defense with blistering speed to score on the final play. Kabrhel successfully converted four of six attempts from the kicking tee after her last conversion of the night.

What’s next?

With their latest victory, the Blues improved to 2–3, leapfrogging the Excalibur to sit sixth in the league, although both the Waterloo Warriors and the York Lions have a game in hand. The Blues will play their final game of the regular season on October 5, away at York.