Happy birthday to UTSC!

On October 6, UTSC officially turned 60 with the campus celebrating its deep history and continued expansion. I’ve always loved this campus: for both its brutalist architecture and sense of community. As I reflect on my final year, I think it’s about time for UTSC to get some love and appreciation for the beauty it holds. Join me on a journey through its oldest buildings.

JAMES BULLANOFF/ THE VARSITY

Originally, UTSC was called Scarborough College and began construction in 1964, with an expected opening date in 1965. However, a construction strike delayed its first incoming class’ entry until January 1966. 

The original campus was made up of what was known as the Andrews Building, named after building designer John Andrews — who also designed the CN Tower. The building is what we now know as the Science Wing (SW), Meeting Place, and Humanities Wing (HW).

JAMES BULLANOFF/ THE VARSITY

The building’s unique design has been featured in many television, film, and music video shoots over the years. This includes movies like Total Recall, The Shape of Water, Resident Evil, and the music video for “Secrets” by Scarborough-born artist, The Weeknd

JAMES BULLANOFF/ THE VARSITY

Many people have strong feelings about these buildings, especially because of the brutalist architecture. I’ve personally loved these buildings. Their sharp edges and strange, concrete shapes draw me in. I remember being immediately drawn to the concrete structures during my first time on campus. 

Now we enter SW. There are many study spots on the main floor, but I prefer to explore the depths of the building. Having a class in the basement of SW is like a rite of passage at UTSC.

JAMES BULLANOFF/ THE VARSITY

The ceiling of Meeting Place never gets old, and I can’t help but look up on my walks through the campus. 

JAMES BULLANOFF/ THE VARSITY

While SW has more sharp corners, HW has more jagged edges. There are random staircases and classrooms with no natural light, but the walls and ceiling still have so much character. 

JAMES BULLANOFF/ THE VARSITY

JAMES

JAMES BULLANOFF/ THE VARSITY

I truly love this campus and hope that you found beauty in this place too. Whether you’re a long-time veteran, a new UTSC student ready to explore, or attending a different campus, find the beauty of wherever you study — because there’s more to your school’s history than meets the eye.