In 2019, U of T launched its Low-Carbon Action Plan (LCAP), which was aimed at reducing its tonnes of carbon dioxide equivalent (tCO2eq) emissions per year from 114,265 to 73,684. It was projected that at the five-year mark of the plan in 2024, tCO2eq emissions would be reduced to 85,223 tonnes per year. 

In light of the action plan reaching this milestone, The Varsity has broken down the university’s progress in meeting its climate goals.

U of T’s progress

According to the 2023 University of Toronto Assets Management  Carbon Footprint Report, the university is on track to achieve its target, having permanently eliminated 33.5 per cent of yearly emissions, standing at 96,760 tCO2eq emissions. 

As UTSG has shown steady progress toward the goals outlined in the LCAP, the university extended the plan in 2021 with a newer initiative called Tri-Campus Climate Positive by 2050. The initiative aims to cultivate climate positivity — achieving net-zero carbon emissions — reflecting the university’s commitment to curb greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. 

With this updated agenda, UTSG aims to reduce GHG emissions 37 per cent below 1990 levels by 2030, along with a minimum of 80 per cent reduction in absolute GHG emissions — the total amount of GHGs emitted into the atmosphere over a specific period. This goal accounts for unexpected growth in emissions and does not rely on third-party offsets — which are purchased to fund projects that lower carbon emissions. 

To accelerate its objective, UTSG partnered with Canada Infrastructure Bank (CIB) to finance Project Leap, or theLow Emissions Accelerator Project, a $138-million investment in climate positive infrastructure, which the university believes to be the largest sustainability effort in the higher education sector

This initiative began in February with CIB financing $56 million and U of T committing to using the financing to cut 50 per cent, or 45,000 tCO2eq, by 2027. The project aims to eliminate the use of natural gases in high-functioning buildings by completing UTSG’s deep energy retrofit projects: converting gas boilers to electric boilers and installing energy storage solutions.

UTSG’s commitment to climate positivity not only provides a more ambitious approach for achieving rapid reductions in tCO2eq emissions but also prompted UTSC and UTM to make similar commitments toward shared goals.

UTSC is home to rapidly developing climate responsible construction projects, such as the recently announced Scarborough Academy of Medicine and Integrated Health and the Environmental and Related Technologies Hub (EaRTH) Phase 2 facility, part of the EaRTH District initiative in collaboration with Centennial College. 

UTSC has also been going green with ongoing construction projects, such as the Sam Ibrahim building and Harmony Commons: the first energy-efficient and eco-friendly student residence that  features mechanical systems that capture and reuse heat generated by sunlight, cooking, and even body heat.

UTM has launched Project SHIFT, facilitating the transition from natural gas consumption to deep energy retrofits in the central utility plant, primarily for heating, hot water, and research processes. U of T Vice-President and Principal of UTM Alexandra Gillespie,, told the university that through its geothermal system and expanding solar energy projects, the campus is on track to exceed the targets set by LCAP, and is ramping up efforts toward climate positivity.

In an interview with the university, Minister of Environment and Climate Change Steven Guilbeault noted that, “The University of Toronto is stepping up with their Climate Positive Campus plan, which is aligned with Canada’s 2030 Emissions Reduction Plan.”

“The Government of Canada will continue to support the University of Toronto in pursuing and achieving their ambitious targets,” he said.