Content warning: This article contains descriptions of violence and mentions antisemitism. 

While U of T’s pro-Palestinian encampment has cleared, the topic of Israel’s war on Palestine remains divisive on campus, especially after CUPE Ontario President Fred Hahn attracted significant controversy for his public statements in support of Palestine. 

On August 11, Hahn reposted a video on Facebook featuring a Paris 2024 Olympics diver, who has a Star of David tattoo on his arm. As the diver descends into the swimming pool, the video cuts to footage of a falling bomb, followed by scenes of explosions, destruction, and children being evacuated. 

After receiving backlash from CUPE members, Hahn deleted his post with the video a week later and issued an apology, stating, “My intent was never to associate Jewish people with the violence enacted by the state of Israel.”

CUPE’s National Executive Board (NEB), on which Hahn also serves as a general vice-president, subsequently voted on August 20 to remove him from his provincial and executive positions. However, CUPE had no legal recourse to oust him, as he was appointed through a democratic vote. As of writing, Hahn remains in his post.

Leading CUPE efforts

As the provincial head, Hahn is responsible for many unionized workforces at U of T — although not all unions fall under his preview, such as the Ontario Public Service Employees Union Local 578, representing research associates at the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education. Hahn’s remit includes CUPE 3902, which represents U of T’s education and research workers, as well as CUPE 1230, which represents U of T librarians. 

Hahn demonstrated his support for U of T workers who threatened to go on strike last winter over concerns related to pay, working conditions, and outdated contract terms. In February, he spoke at a rally at Convocation Hall, addressing workers from across various U of T unions united in their demands. On March 4, U of T workers received new and improved terms, including salary increases.

Supporting protests for Palestine

However, supporting workers’ rights would not be Hahn’s last appearance at U of T this year, nor are his social media posts his first brush with controversy. The day after October 7, 2023, Hahn posted a message on X celebrating the “power of resistance,” which included the slogan “From the river to the sea, Palestine will be free.”

In May, Hahn and other union members, including those from the Ontario Federation of Labour, were seen hugging and shaking hands with the protestors outside the encampment. On July 2, the Ontario Superior Court of Justice granted U of T a court order to clear the encampment by July 3, and the protestors dispersed before coming into contact with law enforcement.

Dividing lines

Hahn’s latest controversy has drawn out supporters and detractors from both sides of the divide. Both CUPE 1230 and CUPE 3902 released official statements expressing their support for Hahn. CUPE 1230 stated, “We are witnessing a national open-air brouhaha in which we, the members of CUPE Ontario, must scramble to piece together the facts while Doug Ford and his ministers praise the CUPE NEB.” In August, Ford had referred to Hahn as a “bully” and a “disgusting human being,” in response to the video Hahn reposted. 

In their statement, CUPE 3902’s Executive Committee reaffirmed “long-standing solidarity with the Palestinian struggle against Israeli occupation and apartheid.”

However, reactions to Hahn’s post and NEB’s vote to remove him are neither uniform nor universal. Groups like the Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs have called for Hahn’s resignation. In November 2023, nearly 30 CUPE members filed a human rights claim with Canada’s Human Rights Tribunal over systemic discrimination and antisemitism, claiming that CUPE has engaged in “systemic discrimination and promoted antisemitism,” with Hahn’s actions making Jewish members feel isolated. 

Many have also defended Hahn’s statements, with an online petition demanding his retention attracting over 200,000 signatories.

Working in solidarity

Canadian trade unionists have a history of supporting foreign causes, including opposing the Vietnam War in the 1960s and vocalizing their opposition to South African apartheid. At CUPE’s National Convention in October 2023, the membership voted to “conduct member education about the history of Israel’s occupation and colonization of Palestine, Canada’s complicity, and what trade unions can do to support a just peace.” 

CUPE 3902’s statement maintained that the decision “aligns with decades-long labour organizing to connect workers’ struggles globally and practice solidarity through worker-led action.” The statement further emphasized, “In line with our union values, the CUPE 3902 Executive Committee asserts that freedom struggles everywhere are workers’ struggles and, therefore, integral to the strength of the labour movement.”