U of T’s School of Graduate Studies (SGS) accounts for thousands of graduate students each year. 

The SGS awards degrees to about 850 PhD students and 1,375 research-stream masters students annually. To receive funding from the institution, graduate students must be enrolled in a funded program, which is typically in the research stream. However, some graduate programs in the professional stream — where students also contribute to research at U of T — remain unfunded, making these students responsible for financing their programs independently or through government and external loans.

Students enrolled in a research-stream program are typically expected to produce research for the institution through a thesis or research project during their studies. In contrast, professional-stream programs may have similar expectations but are more focused on advancing a student’s skills in their respective fields.

Yet, I believe the distinction between funded and unfunded degrees — based on whether a student is contributing to research on behalf of the institution — is not only problematic but also exacerbates financial and social inequality. Every graduate student, regardless of whether they are in a professional or research stream, contributes research for U of T, irrespective of the formality outlined in their acceptance letter. 

What’s the difference?

Beyond research, many graduate students in the professional stream are typically responsible for gaining experience in their respective disciplines through co-ops or placements in fields such as teaching, nursing, medicine, and law. While they are occasionally reimbursed for their work, this labour is in addition to the efforts expected in their coursework. 

Placing the financial burden on students pursuing graduate education in medicine, law, nursing, and other professional programs limits these opportunities to individuals who can afford the fees or take on government loans. Many students spend years repaying these loans after graduation, further widening the class divide in higher education. Therefore, I think that separating higher education into professional and research stream categories exacerbates class inequalities. 

Furthermore, graduate students enrolled in funded programs are still paid a pitiable wage, especially considering the perpetually rising cost of living in Toronto. The average base funding for U of T’s doctoral students ranged from $19,525 to $23,007 in the 2022–2023 school year depending on the division. In comparison, the average monthly rent of a one-bedroom apartment in Toronto in 2022 was approximately $1,527 or $18,324 annually. Even with the maximum base funding package, graduate students would still be left with only a few thousand dollars for their remaining living expenses.

Accountability and next steps 

When an institution expects excellence from graduate students, it should not be considered controversial or unreasonable to expect the university to provide them with a livable funding package. 

The University of Toronto Fellowship is funded by the university’s operating budget, which is primarily composed of tuition revenues and government grants. This serves as graduate students’ main source of funding. However, many, if not all, graduate students in funded cohorts also apply for tri-council research scholarships — external scholarships awarded by the federal or provincial government — as well as fellowships. They also often work as teaching or research assistants employed by the university. 

If the tri-council research scholarship is awarded, it replaces the funding that the University of Toronto Fellowship would have provided as well as the wages from teaching or research assistantships. As a result, these awards do not offer additional financial support; they simply substitute the original funding source. But why are graduate students expected to compete with their colleagues for a limited pool of external awards? 

It seems to me that the university is well aware of the growing controversy surrounding its lack of graduate funding. Its website features a report from a 2022 working group where representatives from graduate programs and SGS discussed the harrowing realities of underfunding. The report acknowledges the struggle of research-stream graduate students but I find it inadequate because it overlooks the issue and ultimately justifies the lack of funding for professional-stream graduate students. 

Alongside this, I perceive a deflection of responsibility: the SGS claims that inadequate government support is why graduate funding fails to match the cost of living in the GTA. While U of T continues to displace the blame, student concerns remain unaddressed.

However, I believe the government has some responsibility in this matter. They provide the majority of graduate base funding packages and they are not unaware of the rising cost of living. 

Union-backed CUPE strikes have successfully demanded better pay for teaching and research assistants, and I cannot help but wonder if a similar approach could secure better funding packages for graduate students. Furthermore, union representation during our time at the institution could help advocate for professional-stream students to receive fairer compensation for their contributions to the university.

Ultimately, faculty members who have direct influence over student funding should do more to change how funding is perceived and allocated within the School of Graduate Studies. Both professional and research-stream graduate students deserve a living wage, as all contribute significantly to the university. 

Ragini Kaushal is a second-year masters student at the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education studying adult education and community development. She is a Graduate Studies Columnist for The Varsity’s Opinion section.