Content warning: This article discusses death and recent and ongoing violence in Gaza and Lebanon. 

On October 7, members of the U of T community gathered on the steps of Sidney Smith Hall to honour and commemorate the innocent lives lost during Israel’s ongoing war on Gaza. 

As of writing, more than 42,000 Palestinians in Gaza and over 1,200 people in Israel have been killed since October 7. Israel’s ongoing attacks on Lebanon have killed over 2,000 people.

UofT Occupy for Palestine (O4P) — the student group that held the 63-day encampment at King’s College Circle — and Tkarón:to Students in Solidarity with Palestine organized the gathering.

This vigil marks the first event in a series of solidarity movements for Palestine and Lebanon. Organized by O4P, the series is collectively referred to as the “Week of Rage.”

The vigil was moderated by Sara Rasikh — a second-year masters at the Ontario Institute of Studies in Education and O4P spokesperson — featured stories read by members of the crowd, statements from U of T students, an organized prayer, and a candlelight demonstration.

Stories of war

Throughout the vigil, members of the crowd took turns reading stories of individuals who lost their lives in the war on Gaza. These included Hind Rajab and her family, Gazan identical twins Mohammed and Ahmad, and Yousef Dawas.

One speaker recounted the tragedy of Rajab and said, “[Their] home in northern Gaza was surrounded and besieged by the [Israeli] occupation. Inside, over 80 people were trapped for days without food or water, until Israeli forces fired incendiary shells, burning Rahab and 80 family members to death.” 

The crowd also listened to the story of Mohammed and his twin brother Ahmad. “Ahmad was killed on November 18, 2023, leaving Mohammed to mourn, writing, ‘Ahmad, my heart, my twin, my friend, was killed alongside my family in the south. God, please look after them.’” 

“Mohammed’s mourning was short-lived, as he joined Ahmad in heaven on December 11, 2023, when he too was killed by [an] Israeli airstrike.”

A speaker also shared Dawas’ story. “Yousef was a musician, writer, social activist, and a poet. [His] dream was to become a psychoanalyst, [and] he also dreamed of travelling to Palestinian cities that he was never allowed to see. Yousef was killed on October 14, 2023, with 27 members of his family.”

Personal impacts 

Several members of the U of T community with direct ties to the war shared stories about its impact on them and their families. Due to the sensitive nature of the accounts, the individuals who spoke chose to remain anonymous.

One speaker reflected on the war from the perspective of having family in Gaza.

“I remember my grandparents were there. I remember being scared for them, for other family members — aunts, uncles, distant cousins, people my mother and father grew up with. I remember it being 11 days of bombing. It wasn’t easy, but it wasn’t the first time they bombed Gazans. They bomb, Gazans persevere and rebuild. That was the context Gazans lived [in] — life around the constant threat of escalated aggression.”

“Today, we honor the martyrs from the past year, but in a way, it almost feels like we must also honor the martyrs of right now, the martyrs of tomorrow and the next day and so on because it hasn’t ended.” the speaker continued. “Instead, we see this same pain and suffering inflicted on more people, and even though it’s been a year, it feels like the past October all over again.”

If you or someone you know is in distress, you can call: 
  • Canada Suicide Prevention Service phone available 24/7 at 1-833-456-4566 
  • Good 2 Talk Student Helpline at 1-866-925-5454 
  • Connex Ontario Mental Health Helpline at 1-866-531-2600 
  • Gerstein Centre Crisis Line at 416-929-5200 
  • U of T Health & Wellness Centre at 416-978-8030