What is The Varsity’s Holiday Art Gallery? 

As the year comes to an end, and exams are to be penned, The Varsity is bringing you holiday cheer, through arts and music, right here. We’re more than just the press, here is a chance to express — come in and join us!

The Varsity is introducing their very first Holiday Art Gallery, where student artists will have the opportunity to showcase and sell their art. Our five submission categories are: written, photography, illustration, video, and multimedia/fine arts. The event will be happening on Thursday, December 5, starting at 7:30 pm. All are welcome to join us for this festive event. 

How do I submit my artwork to this cool gallery?

Submission hotline: send an email with your UToronto email to submissions@thevarsity.ca. Please send separate emails if submitting to multiple categories.

The subject line should read: 

• HOLIDAY ART GALLERY 2019 – [CATEGORY]: [FIRSTNAME] [LASTNAME] SUBMISSION
  • E.g. Holiday Art Gallery 2019 – Written: Alex Doe Submission 

Filenames should read: : 

• [FIRSTNAME_LASTNAME_CATEGORY]-[TITLE-ENTRY NO. OF TOTAL]
  • E.g. Alex_Doe-Written-About_Dogs-1 of 3

All works must be original and unpublished, and must not contain explicit or graphic content. 

Please see individual category requirements below:

1. Written submissions 
    1. All works must be in English 
    2. Short stories and prose cannot exceed one page
    3. Poems have a maximum of 30 lines
    4. Chapbooks have a maximum of 50 lines
    5. If your written submission includes a visual, include it with your submission 
    6. Accepted file formats: .PDF, .DOCX, or .DOC
    7. Maximum three pieces per submission
    8. How you plan to present your work and sell it should your submission be chosen 
  2. Photo submissions 
    1. All photos must include a caption totalling no more than 50 words per photo. If you are submitting a photo series, then the series must have an overall caption totalling no more than 150 words
      1. Please attach captions in a separate .DOCX, .PDF, or .DOC file indicating which photo the caption belongs to
    2. Accepted file formats: .JPG, .JPEG, or .PNG 
    3. Maximum three pieces per submission
    4. How you plan to present your work and sell it should your submission be chosen 
  3. Illustration submissions 
    1. Illustrations must include a caption totalling no more than 50 words each illustration. If you are submitting an illustration series, then the series must have an overall caption totalling no more than 150 words
      1. Please attach captions in a separate .DOCX, .PDF, or .DOC  file indicating which illustration it belongs to.
    2. If your illustration is hand drawn, please take a photo of it 
    3. Accepted file formats: .JPG, .JPEG, and .PNG
    4. Maximum three pieces per submission
    5. How you plan to present your work and sell it should your submission be chosen 
  4. Multimedia/fine arts 
    1. All mediums are welcome, as long as they are two-dimensional
    2. Submissions cannot exceed 75 centimetres by one metre 
    3. Maximum three pieces per submission
    4. Captions cannot exceed 100 words
      1. Please attach captions in a separate .DOCX. .DOC, or or .PDF file and indicate which piece it accompanies
    5. Send a .JPG, .JPEG, or .PNG file showcasing your work
    6. How you plan to present your work and sell it should your submission be chosen 
  5. Video 
    1. Videos will not be sold during the gallery, they are only allowed to be screened
    2. Maximum five minutes per video 
    3. Non-english films must have closed captions 
    4. Accepted file formats: .MP4, .AVI, .MOV.

What happens when we select your work?

Congratulations! You will now have to prepare for the gallery day. Each artist will be given their own section to present their work. In addition, selected works will be promoted on our social media. 

If you have business cards, laptops to show your portfolio, or hardcopy portfolios to show other works, bring them in! This is a chance for you to really shine.

If you are not interested in selling your work and simply want to showcase it, please bring in the selected works in a format that is ready to be presented. Frames and such are expected of the artist to bring. For example, digital works must be printed.

If you are interested in selling your work: 

Artists are expected to bring in the selected works at whatever quantity they prefer, and in a state that is ready to sell.

Further details of the event will be emailed to the selected artists. 

1. Written 
    1. Some ideas for mediums to sell your written work on: 
      1. Tiny books, postcards, bookmarks, etc
    2. Print/create as many of the approved pieces as you would like, in a state that it is ready to sell
  2. Photo 
    1. Photos can be framed or unframed, matted or unmatted, how you chose to sell your product is up to you
    2. Photos must be printed, we will not accept the selling of digital files
    3. Print/create as many of the approved pieces as you would like, in a state that it is ready to sell
  3. Illustration
    1. Illustrations can be framed or unframed, matted or unmatted, how you chose to sell your product is up to you 
    2. Illustrations must be printed, we will not accept the selling of digital files
  4. Multimedia/fine arts 
    1. If you are selling prints of your original artwork, bring both the prints and the original artwork. 
      1. You are not expected to sell your originals 
  5. Video 
    1. Prepare a USB stick if requested