What is The Varsity’s Spring Art Gallery? 

As the school year comes to an end, and exams are to be penned, The Varsity is bringing you cheer through arts and music, right here!

The Varsity is hosting our annual Spring Art Gallery, where student artists will have the opportunity to showcase and sell their art. Our five submission categories are: artisan, photography, illustration, video, and multimedia/fine arts. The event will be happening on Friday April 7th starting at 7pm. All are welcome to join us for this festive event. 

How do I submit my artwork to this cool gallery?

Submission hotline: send an email through your UToronto email to [email protected]. Please send separate emails if submitting to multiple categories.

The subject line should read: 

• SPRING ART GALLERY 2023 – [CATEGORY]: [FIRSTNAME] [LASTNAME] SUBMISSION
  • E.g. Spring Art Gallery 2023 – Illustration: Alex Doe Submission 

Filenames should read: : 

• [FIRSTNAME_LASTNAME_CATEGORY]-[TITLE-ENTRY NO. OF TOTAL]
  • E.g. Alex_Doe-Artisan-pottery-1 of 3

All works must be original and unpublished, and must not contain explicit or graphic content. 

Please see individual category requirements below:

1. Photo submissions 
    • All photos must include a caption totalling no more than 50 words per photo. If you are submitting a photo series, then the series must have an overall caption totalling no more than 150 words.
    • Accepted file formats: .JPG, .JPEG, or .PNG. 
    • Maximum three pieces per submission.
    • Include and explanation of how you plan to present your work and sell it should your submission be chosen, 
  2. Illustration submissions 
    • Illustrations must include a caption totalling no more than 50 words per illustration. If you are submitting an illustration series, then the series must have an overall caption totalling no more than 150 words.
      • Please attach captions in a separate .DOCX, .PDF, or .DOC  file indicating which illustration they belong to.
    • If your illustration is hand drawn, please take a photo of it. 
    • Accepted file formats: .JPG, .JPEG, and .PNG.
    • Maximum three pieces per submission.
    • Include and explanation of how you plan to present your work and sell it should your submission be chosen. 
  3. Multimedia/fine arts 
    • All mediums are welcome, as long as they are two-dimensional.
    • Submissions cannot exceed 75 centimetres by one metre. 
    • Maximum three pieces per submission.
    • Captions cannot exceed 100 words.
      • Please attach captions in a separate .DOCX. .DOC, or or .PDF file and indicate which piece it accompanies.
    • Send a .JPG, .JPEG, or .PNG file showcasing your work.
    • Include and explanation of how you plan to present your work and sell it should your submission be chosen 

What happens when we select your work?

if we choose your artwork, you will receive an email from  [email protected]  notifying you.

Congratulations! You will now have to prepare for the gallery day. Each artist will be given their own section to present their work. In addition, selected works will be promoted on our social media. 

If you have business cards, a digital portfolio you can display on your laptop, or hardcopy portfolios to show other works, bring them in! This is a chance for you to really shine and share your talents.

If you are not interested in selling your work and simply want to showcase it, please bring in the selected works in a format that is ready to be presented. We expect the artists to bring frames and related items for displaying. For example, you must print out digital works.

If you are interested in selling your work: 

Artists are expected to bring in the selected works in whatever quantity they prefer, and in a state that is ready for sale.

Further details of the event will be emailed to the selected artists. 

Artisan 

• Some ideas for mediums you can sell: Pottery, jewelry candles, knitwork, etc. 
  • Print/create as many of the approved pieces as you would like, in a state that it is ready for sale.

Photo 

• Photos can be framed or unframed, matted or unmatted; how you choose to sell your product is up to you.
  • Photos must be printed, we will not accept the selling of digital files.

Illustration

• Illustrations can be framed or unframed, matted or unmatted; how you choose to sell your product is up to you. 
  • Illustrations must be printed, we will not accept the selling of digital files.

Multimedia/fine arts 

• If you are selling prints of your original artwork, bring both the prints and the original artwork. 
  • You are not expected to sell your originals.