Shoppers, a grocery clerk and even one of the police officers called to boot them out of the store were happy to see Greenpeace activists at a Loblaws on Friday labelling genetically engineered food.

“Warning! Genetically Engineered Food: Unwanted, Untested, Unneeded,” stated stickers newly affixed to Frosted Flakes and President’s Choice chocolate chip cookies. Activists suited up in white protective coveralls and masks with black Xs to send out a special “attention shoppers” message to the store’s patrons.

Elderly shopper John Freedman happily accepted a pamphlet. “I think we’re going way beyond what’s intended,” he said about genetically engineered (GE) foods.

Greenpeace has a bone to pick with the undemocratic advancement of food technology, and people like Freedman are at the core of their battle.

A recent poll done by Greenpeace indicated that 95 per cent of Canadians believe they have a right to know whether their food has been genetically engineered.

“We know that there are health and environmental risks associated with GE food. If they’re going to make us eat this untested, unlabelled product, then I darn well want to know what’s in my food,” said Holly Penfond, GE campaign co-ordinator.

Last month, the federal government failed to pass a private members bill that would require grocery stores to label foods that have been subjected to genetic engineering. Greenpeace is not giving up their call for a mandatory labelling legislation.

“Can you all get out of here, please?” exclaimed a perturbed worker when he saw the sticker extravaganza. “Listen, I’ve seen it all come through,” said manager Joe Macedo.

Macedo argued with demonstrators that this is simply his job, and that he has little control over what the company does with its product. “Do I own the company?” he said.

“You don’t own the company, but [the owners] aren’t taking responsibility, so we are…people have a right to know what is in these products,” said Pat Venditti, Genetic Engineering campaign leader for Greenpeace.

But he didn’t quite get through his argument before being hustled out of the store with his fellow demonstrators. Upon exit, twenty supporting picketers greeted them outside, and two coverall-clad protestors locked themselves to the Loblaws entrance railing with bike locks.

“People don’t like to be lied to. They have a right to know what’s in their food, and retailers should stop hiding it,” said Venditti in an interview.

Elena Cechetto was locked to a railing in the entrance. “I’d like to stay until Loblaws commits to allowing labelling on their food.”

Nelson, a worker at Loblaws, chatted with Elena. When asked why he was supportive, he said “I eat the food. I have no idea what’s in the products. As a consumer as well as an employee, I’m very concerned.” Before answering whether he thought he would get in trouble for being outside with the protestors, he was told by another Loblaws employee to get back inside.

Toronto police showed up 20 minutes later and eventually wandered over to some of the picketers to ask them why they were protesting. “I probably shouldn’t be getting into this debate with you, I’m just curious,” said an officer. They launched into a conversation about food safety.

Loblaws was not available for an interview, and Macedo refused an interview upon request.

Photograph by Simon Turnbull