Every year, U of T’s equity offices present a report on their findings and achievements over the past year. The Varsity has not represented the extensiveness of each report, but rather compiled a list of interesting points. Students can find out more about the equity offices at U of T by visiting http://www.library.utoronto.ca/equity/. Likewise, if students have concerns or complaints about equity services at the university, contact us at [email protected].

Diversity Relations Officer, Mississauga

Organized an inaugural gathering of a UTM group of faculty, staff, and students in support of the Positive Space Campaign to raise sensitivity toward Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgendered, and Queer (LGBTQ) community on campus.
Supported the Center for Physical Fitness and Education seeking to improve its engagement of space for Muslim women wishing to have enhanced privacy.
Established a multi-faith prayer room in the UTM student center.

Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgendered, Queer (LGBTQ)

Co-ordinated events to raise awareness and create positive space around issues of the LGBTQ community including Diversity Day at Mississauga, and the launch of Queers of Colour on Campus with the Women’s center.
The Office co-ordinated two large and significant programming events in the past year, UT PRIDE 2001 and the Bent on Change—Rethinking Queer Issues on Campus and in Communities conference.

The Status of Women Office

Approximately 10 per cent of office time in 2000-01 was devoted to individual casework. This included offering support as advocate mediator or facilitator in disputes or interactions. Cases involved all constituencies’ faculty, staff and students.
Three major projects were led by the Status of Women Office, including the Mentoring Pilot Project, Petitions and Appeals Study and the Take Our Daughters to Work Day.

Sexual Harassment Education, Counselling and Complaint Office

In 2000-01 there were 272 complaints to the Sexual Harassment Office; 55 of these became formal complaints. Of the formal complaints, 53 were resolved in mediation and 2 were eventually dealt with under other proceedings.
The number of informal complaints against faculty members dropped; the number of complaints against students rose; and the number of students making complaints also rose.
There were no formal complaints which proceeded to a tribunal this year as in the past ten years.

Race Relations and Anti Racism Initiatives

One hundred forty-one students, the largest enrolment since its inception, took part in the Summer Mentorship program.
New courses such as “The Archaeology of Africa” and “Anthropology and human rights,” will add diversity to options available to students.
The number of international students at the University of Toronto has increased by 23 per cent in 2000-2001 over 1999-2000. There are 3,015 international students from 120 countries enrolled at University of Toronto, making up 5.4 per cent of the total student population.

Accessibility Services at the St. George campus

The provost recently approved an endowment fund which will assist students who are not eligible for the Bursary for Students with a Disability (BSWD) or a university bursary.
The new website is filled with information as well as an opportunity for students to register with the Service online, http://disability.sa.utoronto.ca
Provided extensive accessibility services to a student in medical biophysics who is legally blind, a student at OISE who has a complex psychiatric condition, and a student in the Transitional Year Program with a learning disability.

Access Ability Resource Center at the University of Mississauga

In 2000-2001, the Centre provided accommodations and services to 141 students who had a documented disability.
The Learning Disability Program continued to service students with learning disabilities, who comprise one of the largest groups accommodated by the center.

AccessAbility Services (at UTSC)

The number of students registering with the service has grown significantly in the past five years, and it has experienced an exceptional growth in 2000-2001.
This increase in enrolment has and will continue to prompt new construction (i.e., new residence, Academic Resource Centre, Student Centre, etc).
The top priority is to explore funding to hire permanent staff to assist the Coordinator and Examination Officer in meeting the demands of the office.

Community Safety Co-ordinator

This year the Community Safety Co-ordinator dealt with approximately 94 cases, (compared with 84 last year and 73 the previous year).
A significant number of cases began off campus but flowed onto campus and continued to impact on a student, staff or faculty member while on campus.
Seminars, information sessions and workshops on topics such as Personal Safety Strategies, Criminal Harassment (Stalking), and Crisis Intervention were facilitated by the Co-ordinator.

Family Care Office

The case load has grown from 142 cases in 1993/94 and 419 in 1994/95 to well over 1,200 cases this past year.
Over 600 people attended the 31 workshops sponsored or co-sponsored by the Office this year, including “Parenting Children With Disabilities” and “Birthing Alternatives: The Role of the Midwife.”
Experienced a significant increase in the number of students approaching the Family assistance throughout the period prior to the birth of a child due to the development of a pregnancy support document and protocol.