Bubba Sparxxx
Dark Days Bright Nights
Interscope Records

If you feel the urge to compare him to Eminem, don’t!!! Bubba Sparxxx has a unique rhyming style all his own. In the hit single “Ugly,” off his debut album Dark Days, Bright Nights, Bubba boldly states ” I didn’t choose rhyming, rhyming chose me.” Even though hip-hop was not a common feature on the jukeboxes of his southern neighbourhood, Bubba was not deterred from embracing it. His collaboration with the Black Mozart, a.k.a. Timbaland, did not hurt either. Timbaland brought the beats and Bubba added the mad lyrics. Damn!!! Bubba must have some serious time on his hands, releasing 18 songs on one CD. You had the I-want-booty songs like “Betty-betty,” hardcore rap songs, (“Whutchacallit”) & the next definite hit song “Lovely.” But in the end Bubba did indeed deliver. Not bad for a boy who once lived in a poor Georgia neighbourhood.

Rating:VVV
Leila

Wiremnky
Fresh Cold Cuts (the delicatessen remixes)
Indie

Bare Wire takes her name from an experiment in which monkeys were given a fuzzy mother with which to cuddle or a wire mother equipped with a nipple. These remixes turned me into one of those monkeys, as I preferred to be cuddled by Wiremnky’s “Air meets Crystal Method” melange-o-beats. The tracks go from funky pseudo-futuristic disco up to drum and bass, each listed by bpm for easy mixing. The Bare Wire monkey, or her whiny vocals on these tracks, generally irritated me, but on tracks like “strong winds” and “on grade” I found myself latched onto the nipple and sucking hard. Overall, this album pushes the envelope of how vocals and beats should work together, and has a successful experimental sound.

Rating: VVVV
Kyle Faas