Last year I had a rough break-up with my ex after contracting gonorrhoea from him. I’ve been treated for the disease, but I’m beginning a new relationship with someone and don’t know if I should tell my partner. What do you think?

Iffy in Innis

Most people agree that honesty is an important constituent of a relationship, and being truthful about your medical history with a sexual partner is no exception. It’s also important that you don’t stigmatize yourself for having a sexually transmitted disease; after all, would you find it difficult to tell your partner that you’ve had influenza? Be straightforward and open to questions when you tell your partner, but most importantly don’t be ashamed. Explain that you contracted the disease from a partner, have been treated (with antibiotics), and are no longer carrying the disease. Afterwards, show off your new-found sexual health consciousness by making a date for the STD clinic! Just imagine the romance: you, your partner, some champagne, and a culture swab. Eros, thy name is hygiene.

What is a pap smear and how do I know if I should get one?

Perplexed about Pap

A pap smear is a procedure used to examine the cells of the cervix (the opening of the uterus). The cells are collected from the cervix using a small brush or spatula. The cells are then tested to detect infection, hormonal conditions, and cancerous or pre-cancerous cells. The pap smear is usually accompanied by a pelvic exam, where the doctor will check the uterus and ovaries. This sounds a lot more uncomfortable than it really is.

Women should begin having annual pap smears and pelvic exams once they become sexually active or when they reach eighteen, whichever comes first. You can make an appointment to have one done at Health Services in the Koeffler Centre, at the Hassle-Free Clinic, or you can ask your family doctor to refer you to a gynecologist. It’s a good idea to make sure that you are being tested for STDs as well as cell abnormalities, because many gynecologists only do so upon request. Your doctor can also help you to figure out which method of birth control is best for you.

Many young women are apprehensive about getting a pap smear. They don’t think they need to get one done, or they don’t want a doctor going near their privates. The fact is, a pap smear is very important to female health. The sooner that gynecological diseases are caught, the less damage they will cause. And as we all know, most women do not show any symptoms of STDs. As for not wanting a doctor near their vagina, women should note that doctors are trained medical professionals, unlike many of their sexual partners.

SEC operates between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. on weekdays. Our anonymous hotline is 416-97-UT-SEC and our email is [email protected]. We welcome everyone who stops by our office at 91 St. George Street.