The varsity women’s water polo team qualified for the Ontario University Association (OUA) playoffs thanks to a convincing victory against the York University Lions last Thursday night.

In what proved to be a hostile York pool, the Lady Blues overcame everything and played with the intensity required to capture the victory. The Blues were led by veteran players Kerry Mosher and Laura Wensley, who each scored three goals.

“We need to gel out there, really play our game,” said hole set Kirsten Saganowski before the match. The team did just that, thanks in large part to Blues goalie Sabina Avondo who made key saves down the stretch to secure a victory.

The Blues scored the first goal and never looked back. Leading 3-1 after the first quarter, they steadily built on their lead over the course of the game. In the fourth quarter, with the game in hand, head coach John Godoy went to his bench giving his starters a much deserved rest, a nice option to have in a game of such importance.

The team now moves on to the OUA playoffs in Hamilton this weekend, where they will be competing in a round robin tournament against three other teams-all of which are vying for the one gold medal prize.

A look at the regular season standings might pin host McMaster as the favourites, but don’t count the Blues out. They’re a strong team with veteran leadership and solid goaltending.

This marks the first time in several years that the Blues have qualified for the OUA playoffs, signalling marked improvements from last year’s 0-12 team.

Godoy, needless to say, is optimistic. “[I’m] impressed with the determination of this team. They pulled together when the chips were down and it really mattered.”

And there’s no doubt in Godoy’s mind that the team will be a force to be reckoned with this weekend. “I am extremely confident about our chances against Queen’s and Carleton, as we have beaten them both in the season. Once we get through them, we will deal with McMaster.”

The Blues will play a total of four games this weekend against the teams from Queen’s, Carleton and McMaster.